Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

Newbie here.

I'm currently driving a 2004 Scion xB and I've come to my senses and realized $320 a month and $240 a month for comprehensive insurance is just too much to pay. I'm 33 and I have a clean driving record! I just pick the wrong ZIP codes to live in apparently!

Anyway, I've decided to sell this thing and take advantage of Scion's high resale value and Hyundai's relatively low resale values and get myself a nice Accent I think.

I will confess I used to be one of the doubters about Hyundai, that was until a good friend got a 2003 Accent. I was totally amazed by the build quality/solidness and the quality of the plastics, plus it had a real independent suspension instead of a torsion beam like my Scion. My opinion was changed forever at that point. 8D

So my question is, what can I get for $5-7000? I really want a hatchback Accent 5 speed with the 1.6 motor in excellent condition with under 50,000 miles, is that realistic? I've seen a number online but they were mostly for sale through dealers and overpriced IMO based on blue book.

Anything I should know about Accents? I'm not a boy racer, but I am a driving enthusiast, so I'd probably want to fit 15-16" alloys with good tires, a thicker rear anti-sway bar and possibly some coilovers down the road (do they make them for Accent)

Are there any advantages to choosing one year over another (within my price range)

How about the 1.5 engine? I hear some not-so-nice things about it. Is it easy to live with though or should I skip it?

One more: Do you guys have timing chains or belts on those things and what is the change interval? THANKS!

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I have a 1.5 that I bought in 2000. I wouldn't bother with an automatic, but that would probably limit you in terms of buying used. I haven't had any issues that weren't replaced under warranty. I'm pretty happy with the car. At 140K miles, I'm still on the original clutch, although I need to replace the front shocks and I think I have a bearing starting to go bad in the rear.

The engine uses a timing belt that has to be replaced every 60K, but I've taken the last two out to 70K with no issues. However, if it breaks, you'll be fixing the motor...

·
Registered
340 Posts
First off welcome to the forums! Now for your questions. For the amount you specified you should be able to get a well equipped Accent with that number of miles on it fairly easily. I would go for a 2000 or later model with the 1.6L engine and the manual tranny. I've owned a 2001 GS and am now driving a 2005 GT both of which I love. The rest of the options are up to you and what you're looking for. They're not Civics so parts aren't available on the end cap at your local grocery store but there are a good number of things available including coilovers which you mentioned. This is a good place for you to start to get an idea of what you can do with an Accent: http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=18942. Hope that helped you out some if you have any more questions about our experience with our cars just ask!

[Edited by phantasm on Jan 15, 2006 8:44 PM]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. You guys are great with the quick replies. Thank you!

FYI, yeah I definitely want a manual transmissions. I don't like automatics. The only way I would ever put up with an automatic is if it was a very high tech newer one that doesn't hunt for gears on hills and it was paired to a torquey V6.

IMO a manual transmission can make nearly anything at least a little fun/sporty to drive and an automatic can suck the soul out of even a relatively fun car by making it boring to drive. Just MHO.

I would consider a 1.5 if it would save me vast amounts of money, but if I can get a 1.6 for another $1000 I would go that route. I'm not a speed demon, as long as I can get to 60 mph in less than 11 seconds, I'm content.

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Might be selling my '03 1.6L soon...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got an 2000 1.5 with stick. At 95000 the car has been great. Hardly a single problem.
A 1.6 engine will have more aftermarket parts.

I am keeping this car as long as the body lasts. Where else can you get replacement engines for $500 on Ebay and have this much fun

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
You should be able to find a 2001-2 model with a 1.6L 5spd for $5000 and less by now, regardless of mileage. An 03 or 04 should easily be in the $5-7k range. After having owned both motors (granted, my 1.5L was in the lighter, earlier 98 accent) definitely get the later 1.6L motor as its got more power and better torque range and response. The 1.6L accents should be about as quick or quicker as your xB because it weights 200 pounds less, but is without the VVTi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great responses guys, thanks. I can already see this is a good community. :)

I'm leaning towards a 2002-3 Accent with the 1.6L, definitely a 5 speed.

A few more questions, if that's cool (I know about search but could not find answers for these)

Which models come with a tach. I need a tachometer and a 5 speed to be happy. I'm not familiar with Hyundai's or their trim levels GS? etc... So if I want a 5 speed w/tach, what am I looking for?

Is there a place on these forums where I can find technical data about different models/model years etc. i.e. what is the final drive ratio, what improvements were made between model years etc. Like if I were to choose between an '01 and an '03, what are the differences?

Thanks again for making me feel welcome. 8D

·
Registered
340 Posts
We also have another wonderful resource for our Hyundai's called Webtech. It provides all the technical data you could possibly imagine for any of the Hyundai makes and models for virtually every year they've been in production. www.hmaservice.com after you sign up they'll send you an email and you'll be ready to login and research away! Now to save you a little time the LC (2000-2002) and LC2 (2003-to 2005) Accents use the same transmission. The only gear ratio change among any of them is between the 1.5 SOHC engine and the 1.6 DOHC. 4th and final drive are different.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
All of the 2000-2 GS and GL (sedans) came with tach's, same story with the 03+ cars but I'm not 100% on those. In 02, A/C became standard, so dont worry about that one. Also, the final drive is a 3.842 if I remember correctly...

Improvements in the 2003's over the earlier LC's was mainly cosmetic, though the stiffer and all around "better" GT suspension was now available, new headlights, new tailights, different interior treatments and a general increase in quality on the interior in each model year. I think the later cars are slightly heavier, but not enough to concern anyone except for people who are weight nazi's like me. :)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Originally posted by skierd
[body]
In 02, A/C became standard, so dont worry about that one
[/body]
Not true, my 02 is a base model and I had to put a/c in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the way the coupe looks a bit more than the sedan, but I'm open to either one as long as it's got a 5 speed, a tach and the 1.6 liter. What's the weight difference between the coupe and sedan? As long as it's 100 lbs or less then it's a non-issue for me.

So I guess if I get a coupe, it sounds like it will have a tach and A/C as long as it isn't the "L" base model, right?

Definitely need A/C in south Florida. I'd be amazed if there are even any Hyundais here without A/C, you'd have to be a real masochist to put yourself through a summmer here without A/C in your car!

·
Registered
340 Posts
You're right, if you were to try to endure a Florida summer with no A/C you ought to be committed for psychiatric evaluation 8D. According to cars.com there's a 10 lb. difference between the LC sedan and coupe so that should be of no concern. So long as you stay away from the L you'll have AC and a tach.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Yes, mostly. The L was not available with a tach, but a/c was a dealer installed option. In 2001, a/c was an option on all models but the GS and GL had tach's. In 2002, a/c became standard on the GS and GL as far as I remember, and both again still had a tach. The L remained the stripper meaing a/c was an option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can easily do it with your budget and have $$$ left over for mods, if that's your thing. Or cash out if you want a simpler cheaper life.

Got my sister an 01 with AC but no tach in late 04 for mid $3000s with 51,000 miles. (Still under warranty to 60k) 5 speed. Bought from a dealer I found through autotrader. Am having good luck with trailer-on-a-dirt-lot operations. The big dealers suck and I get some schmuck "who's up" on the floor.

I liked it enough (personally drove it NH to TX ) I got a 99 with a bad alternator as a personal fix-up project. Completed, it rattles much less than my saturns. What issues would bother you with respect to driving will show up on your test drive:

The wierd, long, sloppy shifter.

The wierd pedal operation: The clutch travels a long way and has to be on the carpet between gears-- no cheating, at least not on mine. Comparatively, the gas has about an inch of travel-- I guess that makes the car feel peppier.

5th gear is shorter than I would have liked. Sure I can go 25 mph in top gear but there are lots of other gears that'll also work. Gets a bit buzzy on the highway.

Visibility is slightly bad as the driver's mirror is small. I fixed that with a 99 cent convex stick-on mirror from walmart.

Maintenance (I do all my own work) is not horrible on the 1.5. They put the oil filter immediately behind the bumper on the lower underside of the motor where you can easily reach it. If you park up on a curb you can probably change the oil without jacks or ramps. Spark plugs are a cinch. My 99 has the crappy captive rotors but they apparantly changed that later but before the era you're looking in.

The 1.5 is actually a smooth little motor that purrs at idle and provides a nice linear application of power. You just have to get used to the revs at speed.

[Edited by eljefino on Jan 19, 2006 7:24 AM]

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Originally posted by Hi-yoon-die-ay
[body]
Originally posted by 03-Accent-03
[body]
Might be selling my '03 1.6L soon...
[/body]
Do you live anywhere near south Florida?
[/body]
No, I live in Las Vegas. It has A/C and a tach. Roughly 34,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys-- Is that lovely 100,000 mile etc, etc warranty fully transferrable?

Sorry Las Vegas is just too far. I probably won't be buying a car for a little while now anyway. I need to save up some cash since if I am lucky, I will just break even on selling the Scion.

Thanks to all. ;):

[Edited by Hi-yoon-die-ay on Jan 20, 2006 7:23 AM]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts