Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for sure i need 5-speed trany,fly wheel,cluche and master cylinder,cables and stick shift ,

do i need to change axel shaft because i have a repair manual . for the auto trany it say left axel is 398.2mm and right is 677.2 manual trany is left is 397.5 and right is 681.5mm

do i need to change my engine ecu or i juste have to take off the automatic ecu.

please i need info because my auto trany is begin to malfuction and i want to swap it

you can e-mail me at ; [email protected] :hmmm:

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey man... i just found this forum and stumbled accros your topic... my friend had the same style elantra as yurs and we converted it to a 5 speed...( he then wrecked it, bought another auto, so we gotta do it again!)

but there is not much info on this at all... basically, you need all the nessecities.... clutch, flywheel, tranny, linkage, ect.. this was a amost a year ago now.. so i dont remember all of it... but i know that you must change all the wiring in the entire car... now everyone that helped us hates hyundais... the whole engine harness is obviously needing replaced... but the dash harness needs it as well... you also need to drill a hole in the fire wall for the linkage i believe... i know we drilled one... but i dont remember what for...

as far as i know... i've never seen anyone else perform this swap... james (guy with elantra) is on elantraclub.com ... its not a very good forum... but i think he may have posted somthing on their about it... check it out!... i think his name is "captain j" ... or somthing along that... look it up

·
Registered
6 Posts
hmmn.. i just remembered some other stuff as well... you do NOT need axels from a 5 speed... yours are the same thread... ppl will try to tell you they wont work cause some cars are like that... but these are the same... also.. you need a MTX ECU... the wiring is a bitch though... you have to mess with **** all the way back to the tail lights...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tank you man, but for the entired wiring change not cool, but the computer still the same juste need to drop the auto trany cpu i think .

·
Registered
85 Posts
You have to look at the fact that the whole thing is a very big project, if you are mechanicaly inclined and you have a garage at home or someone is willing to let you use theirs that will help you save money on the cost of labour. There is a stickied post at the top of the hybrid forum about how to do an auto to manual swap for a 97 tib. The 96-01 tibs & 96-00 elantras are made the same as far as the mechanical work is concerned, check out the post and you might come to some conclusions, I just went through it fast and it seems straightforward, a person just has to decide on the way they do the wiring or switch all the harnesses( that's one way to do it, but I don't think it's completely necessary to switch it ).

If you are not very inclined to doing the work yourself, and you have to hire someone to do it locally, oh and I might as well mention is Allardville in NB, I believe I saw your car at the miramichi races this year. Anyway if you are in NB keep in mind that finding someone who has experience doing this swap in a hyundai is a long shot, there are some good shops but they deal with hondas, toyotas, nissans wich is much more straightforward and quick to do than this. If you have to hire someone, parts & labour may cost you more than it would actually cost to buy a 5-spd elantra like yours. You might be better to fix your auto tranny, or buy another car in the long run.

If you decide to go for the swap post here regularly or email me I might be able to get better deals on the parts you will need, I work at the Hyundai dealership in moncton and a few of our technicians may have some stuff, I think one of them has an elantra for parts it's a car he put in the ditch during a storm, I'm not sure if he still has it and I'm not sure if it's auto or 5-spd. Has far as I know we are the only NBers who post here in the technical forums, so anytime you need to know something I'll help you out if I can. And by the way you might want to check club hyundai and club accent they are Quebec forums, I've been wanting to get on there more lately, they could be a lot of help to us since they are so close, I figure for used parts and used stuff for sale they could be our best bet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i whant to do it myself because i live whit my parents right now and he have a garage and in the summer i take apart my engine because y was running the wrong type oil filter in my car it was too small and it starve for oil at high rpm so it knock on the crank so have took engine out of the car whit the auto tranny all do myself and y have a chain fall so .
now the motor runnig good and took at miramichi drag way park just to what my time it was like 16.8 and the more y try the more it get slower, i think because of over heating the tranny..and yes i can live whit a check engine soon light on because y have a decoder.
i dont planned to do it right now because maybe i will work to moncton because im a diesel mecanic truck and transport and there not much work at bathurts ..so this is why i whant to know to make sure all info to change manual tranny

[Edited by snow freak 500 on Dec 27, 2005 4:28 PM]

·
Registered
85 Posts
That sounds great, if you're a diesel mecanic you would certainly be capable of doing the swap. I'll make a parts list of what's necessary, and I'll see what I can come up with as far prices are concerned. I think the best bet would be to find a complete swap out of a car, or a complete parts car. Either a Tiburon or Elantra would do, they're getting cheaper, I've seen Tiburons for 1500$ and Elantras for less. I'll be on the lookout, I wouldn't mind having some interior parts and body parts off a Tiburon rather than going to the junkyard for them, if we could find a car I'd be willing to share the price with you. Anyway I'll see what happens and I'll post here or email you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts