Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, as of Oct.5.2005 I am a 95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD owner. However;

Problem #1 The car idles at anywhere from 1500-3000rpms. It has a 3" downpipe all the way to the 3" exhaust(muffler). I have an air/fuel gauge, and it reads "Lean". I went out and bought fuel injector cleaner today hoping that would help some, but it didnt. It sounds like there is a vacum leak somewhere on the right side of the engine bay.

Problem #2 When Im turning there is a loud noise coming from the front suspension, Im gona take a guess and say its a bearing...

Problem #3 Every other time when I turn the car on, there is the loudest squeling belt noise I have ever heard, what belt is this coming from? How do I solve this problem?

Thanks, Jay

Here are some videos I took today.

http://media.putfile.com/MOV0046520
The first one is when I was getting on the expressway.

http://media.putfile.com/MOV0046645
The second one is the noise. Looking at the video it seems more like the noise is coming from the downpipe area but Im not really sure. The noise is heard at the beginning of the vid.

http://media.putfile.com/MOV0046724
The third one is expressway again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I didn't watch your movies but I know that 4g63t motors in the first generation DSM's are prone to auto revving. I would assume that the second generations do the same thing. My friend has a first gen and has tried everthing to make it stop auto revving. His doesn't always do it but it is kind of annoying. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
i would say replace all the belts. if you dont know the previous owners maintenance history. i cant really hear anything in the vids except this annoying popping sound.

[Edited by thegrim on Oct 10, 2005 10:40 AM]

·
Registered
842 Posts
is your bov recirculated? find out what that 'vacuum leak' is. that would def cause a lean condition and high idle.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the grim - that annoying poping sound is coming from the exhaust.

X3Jason - My bov is aftermarket and its venting to atmosphere, I know I need a recirculating one and Im looking for a 1g bov on ebay. Im also starting to think that it is running rich not lean. I average anywhere from 120-130 miles on a full tank. It holds 16gallons so that would be 7.5 - 8.1mpg. Ive been told that when I accelarate there is a huge puff of black smoke, not white smoke...so even though my air/fuell gauge is reading lean it looks like Im running rich.

Im really missing my tiburon right now since the talon takes premium and it not running right...

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
ooops:nervous: ... well i've seen a white eclipse around here thats the same body style as ur talon, i'll ask him if he has any problems from his car that may be similar to yours.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really hope so, if spark plugs and wires fix that Im going to be so happy.

·
Registered
842 Posts
first thing is that BOV. anything that opens at idle or a vacuum leak will cause most of those problems (leaning out or richening inconsistantly, popping from exhaust, misfire, high idle, poor gas mileage)

what happens is the TB opens and lets in extra unmeasured air briefly then the ecu recognizes this from the o2 sensors and tries to over compensate which results in poor gas mileage and an initial lean condition. this screws up spark plugs and o2 sensors.

what is the plug gap you're using? does the car hold a steady boost level? ever bog out or stall?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know what the plug gap is, I got the car 5 days ago and either I am in school or it is raining outside and I dont have a garage so I didnt really get a chance to look at it. Boost is fairly constant, low rpm gauge shows 20vac, and WOT it shows about 11psi (stock). The car hasent stalled or bogged since I had it. If it stops raining here today Im going to look at the plugs and Ill see if there is a vacum leak for sure.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
definately look at your plugs if they are black and full of carbon it's rich... The idle thing could be a couple things, check if this thing has an idle bypass, if it does... While the car is running unplug the wires to it, and plug back in. It will reset the valve inside(at least for a while) Recirculate the bov as soon as you can... Depend on wha the loud noise sounds like, it could be a CV axle too... Dunno...

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
i own a 91 with idling problems
here are the probs.check ics then egr valve then throtle screw joint there a web page about this dont remember adress but if you google terry idle ......or something like that you will find our buddy jiffer
p.s good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts