Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have problems with my idle. After a 10-20 minute ride, when I slow down with a gear and the rpm goes nearly idle, the engine makes a 'dive' to 500rpm and if I'm lucky it goes back to 750-800. If I'm not, the car stops. The connections to the turbo are ok everything in place. I'm suspecting the bov, but is it possible for it to leak air while hot? Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
at what rpms is it usually dropping from?? higher rpms or not?? its prob running too rich for that second or two making it idle low, and then it should recover.. is it stalling out at all?? its probably happening because ur venting BOV to atmosphere? are you?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bov is not a recycle one but it doesn't leak into the atmosphere when at idle. I noticed this problem the last week and sometimes. For example. I want to stop to the traffic light, I have 3rd gear at 3.500. I shift to neutral and as the rpm goes down, it dives to 500 and stalls. The fuel management is currently stock perhaps this is the problem.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If your bov doesnt recirc. and it doesnt go in the atmosphere , where the hell does it go? I run a atmosphere bov with no fuel management but it doesnt bog below normal idle.... Check vacuum lines...

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Originally posted by omgbossis21
[body]
If your bov doesnt recirc. and it doesnt go in the atmosphere , where the hell does it go?
[/body]

Originally posted by japakos
[body]
The bov is not a recycle one but it doesn't leak into the atmosphere when at idle.
[/body]
i think he just means that it doesnt leak AT IDLE, as in the ecu should be seeing and compensating for all metered air at idle. no offense to anyone, its just the terminology but keep in mind that enlish may not be his native/main language. to jap- nothing wrong with what you said either just the way it was worded can easily be misconcieved. literally, it was a correct statement.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Oh okay, lol. Sorry , Im a bit of speed reader and missed the at idle part.

·
Registered
846 Posts
mine does it too. is your throttle bypass (idle speed actuator) blocked? i get the same thing in mine because they had to block the idle speed actuator or the turbo forces air thrugh it too fast (yes the turbo blows air even at idle) and revs go up and down like a yo yo.

if that is the case there is nothing you can do other than fit totaly seperate idle speed actuator that draws from atmosphere rather than the other side of the throttle plate.

this is what im going to do.

good luck.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If your actuator drew air from the atmosphere thats unmetered air. Not such a good thing..... My ISA is hooked up and I dont have that problem. My rpms do fluctuate once in awhile (very mild), but I think its just from running so rich with a bov that vents to the atmosphere and no real fuel management.....

·
Registered
846 Posts
its only a small amount of air but most importantly its only under extreemly low load at idle... so a little lean wont matter too much.

also if your car is map equiped it will sence the increse in pressure in the manifold and supply a little extra fuel, so a/f ratios will stay perfect.

once above idle the valve is shut and all is normal.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw the inside of the piping and it was full of black dirt. I sprayed a little and cleaned that up. Maybe this dirt was preventing the idle or sth like that. The bov also had some dirt - also cleaned it up. Checked everu vacuum line, ok. My father took the car today so he'll tell me if the problem is solved. But the weird thing is that this issue occured after a month of turbocharging and only when the car is hot, as I already said after a 10-20 minute ride. Maybe is the weather (cold) so the idle actuator is always busy and it sends signal with rich a/f, resulting a problem as the fuel management is stock. The only thing I can do is to wait a little more for the money to come and the project is completed. :)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
After the car warms up, and begins to do this... Just unplug the idle bypass, and plug it back in again. While the car is running. If it smooths out the idle, then you know it is the idle bypass...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts