Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked on hmaservice and couldnt find the answers. Where would i find this information at? The car in question is a 2002 Accent 1.5L

What type of ignition system does the accent run- where is the crank angle sensor (CAS) or distributor trigger wheel, and what type is it (Optical/LED Sensor? Hall Sensor? VR Sensor?)

How many teeth/windows/slots and what orientation does the CAS, crank trigger, and/or distributor wheel have? (any missing? all evenly spaced?)

Also. are the injectors low impendence or high?

·
Registered
573 Posts
The sensor is a Hall sensor, and the injectors are a high impendance. I'm not so sure on the injectors. The sensor is located just to the left of the ignition coil pack, and installs in the cylinder head. I haven't had my Accent for a while, but this info should get you moving in the right direction. :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, by any chance do you remember where you came by this knowledge?

Also anyone know the answer to this one or where to find it at?
How many teeth/windows/slots and what orientation does the CAS, crank trigger, and/or distributor wheel have? (any missing? all evenly spaced?)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Jsharptooth91 said:
Thanks, by any chance do you remember where you came by this knowledge?

Also anyone know the answer to this one or where to find it at?
I can't really give you one specific source that would be helpful as I did A LOT of research on these motors when I owned a hyundai. Most of what I learned was from reading hmaservice.com technical bulletins, studying diagrams, and lots and lots of googling. A really good source for information can actually be had by reading about Rallycross team tuning efforts. Many of these teams keep a log and blog their progress with many pics on the net. I don't know what the hyundai scene has done in the last few years but when I owned mine, you had to really look hard to learn anything particularly technical. Just anywhere on the net Hyundai is mentioned...read. You would be amazed what you learn just from someones cardomain blog.

Plus I spent a lot of time just taking stuff apart and looking at it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
What do you mean by the orientation of the pickup? These motors only have an inductive Hall style pickup in the cylinder head which reads off the camshaft. I am fairly certain it does not have a crankshaft position sensor. It essentially serves the same purpose a distributor does on an older car. There are no teeth on this sensor either...its just a magnet. The teeth are actually located as an integral part of the head assembly. Every time a tooth passes that magnet...the ignition fires. Its not that simple but thats basically how it works. Hey I just re-read your original post and to answer your question on the type of ignition system it is a Distributor-less, waste-spark type igntion. If your planning on running a standalone or something, your best bet is to replace the coils with the MSD stuff. You'll most likely need four of those "blaster" coils, and will also need to run the MSD "e-dis" ignition control. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That help some. I plan to run megasquirt in the future. The alpha does have a crankshaft position sensor. Its right below the oil presser sensor. Im just trying to understand what type of ignition Hyundai runs. So when i buy the system i will know what im asking for.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
draccent said:
What do you mean by the orientation of the pickup?
What im asking, is when the cam goes around how does the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CMP SENSOR) know when it top dead center. Is the teeth all their and just missing one?

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CMP SENSOR) is a hall sensor.
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CKP SENSOR) is a ???? ( is this sensor just for the RPM's)?

Same as the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CKP SENSOR). What type of sensor is this. The crankshaft position sensor, consisted of a magnet and coil, is located next to flywheel. Is it a VR sensor or a hall sensor. I dont know how to tell the diff between the two. As well how does the sensor know where the flag is at? Is a tooth missing as well?
Thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts

this should help you out for future reference

it is taken from alldatapro which is a paid service my shop uses for labor and diagnosis

it won't give you everything but it might help you out some, I tried looking for flywheel tooth count but got nothing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts