Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 accent GL 1.6 5 speed and those 13" wheels lol and I love it. the suspension leaves a lot to be desired though and i want to improve it. I don't feel very safe in the car on the highway especially on windy days lol. I used to have a plymouth sundance and i had no problem with that one even going up to 170.

I was thinking plus sizing the wheels to 195/45 R16 and lowering the car about 1.2" with eibach springs. Would that be enough?

I was thinking of also installing some sway bars and/or strut bars but I'm not familiar with what they do and how they can help. Can anyone help me with that?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Could always throw some strut bars on it for a inexpensive supension mod. = ) Strut bars tie the chasis togather to reduce roll-over and your car handles a lot better. I just installed the strut bars from Shark racing and I love them!

[Edited by Patrickmann on Jan 19, 2006 12:48 AM]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, i have a 2004, 5 doors 185/60/R14 accent... and i think it comes with stock bars!? aren't thoes the bars u are talking about?

·
Registered
91 Posts
i think you might be thinking of sway bars, unless someone already put strut bars in before you bought it. strut bars are just a bar that runs across the top of the suspension struts, they dont come from the factory like that

·
Registered
886 Posts
The car has stock sway bars. But you are right it does not have strut bars stock.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Lowering the car definitely helps its highway stability, and in my experience usually wider tires help stability, but can make the car follow tar strips and cracks in the road more. IMO it rode best on the stock 13" wheels and tires due to the tall, but importantly soft, sidewalls and lowered. Driving 65mph on my 13x8 autocross wheels and 225/45/13 Hoosier R3S04's was downright scary with how darty it was.

Definitely upgrade the struts when or soon after you lower it though or the ride will suffer on broken pavement. Stick to a 15" wheel or less for best ride, keeping away from ultra-high performance tires and going more for a performance all-season or high-performance all season like the Falken Ziex 512, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts