Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im new here

was wondering im going to be in the market for a Excel S3+ was wondering are there any common problems to look out for / any parts in particular to look

ive been noticing most of them have about 200K KM + (about 120K miles?, if its been looked after would it still have life in the engine ? , and ive heard the clutches need replacing every 100K KM is this true?

Thanks appreciate the help michs

·
Registered
573 Posts
The main thing you need to keep in mind is that you are purchasing a car, which to many is regarded as a "disposable" automobile. With the exception of enthusiastic owners otherwise interested in keeping their vehicle maintained, these cars can detoriate quickly. The best thing you can do is acquire as much documentation from the seller as possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya there seen as a disposable car

to top it of to make things worse ive only got 2.4K to spend so mite be able to get one for 3.5K ONO if i hassle them to sell cheaper

im thinking of geting a compersion test done due to mates dad is a mechanic is that a big job?

so has anyone got any wise words convincing me the engines can last 200K miles plus + dont mean to be rude about it just people always say dont get a Hyundai it will deteriorate and break down every day, but mmmm they fly in the hills and got power so Hyandaui FTW

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
well to be honest with you the excels had mitsubishi engines so you gotta put your trust in the mitz motor. i don't konw what kind of money you are talking about but 3500 sounds like a hell of a lot of money to pay for an old ass excel. im assuming you are is australia??? i wouldn't pay over 500 USD for an one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea im in Australia Adelaide

no mean to be a girl or anything but i really want a X3 or newer model, due to cant have anything to old need to blend in with other cars due to im on some hoons hot list

·
Registered
573 Posts
get yourself an old honda hatch. Its not going to die...no matter how bad you beat it up. If anything blends in that will.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
DIrt_Turbo said:
yea im in Australia Adelaide

no mean to be a girl or anything but i really want a X3 or newer model, due to cant have anything to old need to blend in with other cars due to im on some hoons hot list
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dude i think we all totally forgot about that part. in the US. they started calling the X3's Accents. yea those have hyundai motors and the motors are supposedly designed be about 180k mile motors which is about 290k km. so if you find one that looks like it was reasonably taken care of then it should be fine and able to last you a while.

as far as the clutch it all depends on the driver. but putting a new clutch in these cars is a piece of cake. i can do it by myself in about 5 hours now but thats because i dogged the **** out of my car and put 5 clutches in the first year i had my motor swap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok dam im sad at hearing there only desighned for 290K KM (180 miles)

also ryanolson was reading in your avator on EBC green stuff pads was wondering where they hard to find and would there be a chance of geting some on a X3 (accent) and what about rotors, trust me on this i chew through rotors and pads due to hill runs so ya want to be on the safe side have tryed EBC green stuff on my old car and they were great with DBA rotors slotted

and CV joints are they solid , im new to FF cars so ya im noob

so any other problems to look for ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bumpsky

soz for the bump

have been hearing that the X3 (accents) have got drum rear brakes is this true

and the fronts are discs ya?

asking due to this car will be a hill runs car so need the safety / a bit of perfomance

and whats the body roll / stock shockers and springs like any stiff ?

i dont know why but im to scared to go test out cars that i have no intention on buying any advice?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dude for 3 grand you'll be able to get an ok X3 Excel. I bought a 98 X3 Excel GX 3 door for 3 grand with 200,000km on it... (you can get ones with lower mileage for that price, but only base models.) I've had it for a year now and now have 230,000km on the clock... the bitch runs smooth as, manual tranny is holding up very well and is still on its original clutch.

I bought my Excel as a runabout and really believe for a car with so much mileage on it, it runs excellent!

Keep it well maintained and you'll have a problem free car.

I've done a compression test on it and found that its still strong as ever and only just running a little below specification.

Over the last year I've driven it hard and its done well (im dont thrash it all the time). Im hoping to have this car for over 300,000km and after that im just going to get her running again.

I'm wondering if maybe it might be good to just do a minor rebuild on it... new piston rings and crank bearings, machine the heads and get another 200,000km out of her.

Hang as much **** on Hyundai's as you want... I reckon the mitsu engine are probably the shitest thing about Hyundai. Buy a Hyundai with a Hyundai engine in it and it will run forever. The Alpha and Beta hyundai motors are tough and durable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts