Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a phenolic intake manifold spacer for a 1998 tiburon from sharkracing, and I haven't installed it yet because i am at college. has anyone installed these that could possibly run me through it? I'm pretty sure I get how to do it all i just don't want to hit any problems when I have time to do it. Also, will it require new gaskets on both sides of the spacer? thanks

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I would use two gaskets for sure. Its pretty straight forward, remove intake manifold, place spacer, reinstall.

Oh and there is a braket that holds in intake manifold to the block, you wont be able to see it, but you can feel it. its a bitch.. good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so does the spacer actually end up right against the block?...on SR's sight they say that it needs to be installed between the upper and lower manifolds?

·
Registered
151 Posts
against the head

·
Registered
77 Posts
the spacer is the gasket you dont use anything else with it. and all you have to do is take off the coolant lines from TB, Fuel lines and then the 8-10 12mm bolts that hold on the IM. remove the gasket and put spacer in its place. then tighten the 12mm bolts back down to spec and re-attach fuel/coolant lines

·
Registered
76 Posts
the spacer is the gasket you dont use anything else with it. and all you have to do is take off the coolant lines from TB, Fuel lines and then the 8-10 12mm bolts that hold on the IM. remove the gasket and put spacer in its place. then tighten the 12mm bolts back down to spec and re-attach fuel/coolant lines
are you sure? i thought it was installed similar to a decomression plate, where you put an oem gasket on each side. i don't know if you take chances on getting a propper seal by just using the spacer as a gasket.

·
Registered
77 Posts
if you say so man, i'm just tryin to help you out.

the purpose of a gasket is to help 2 metal surfaces mate up correctly and tightly. this is not a seal you can get with metal on metal because of heat expantion rates and imperfections in the metals. which is why you put a gasket there so nothing can escape, well the plastic is its own gasket because it doesnt heat up or have imperfections like metal does. adding more gaskets is just redundant.

·
Registered
324 Posts
the shark racing phenolic spacer is actually a gasket. See how it is white phenolic instead of brown. The white is a silicone mixed composite compound which has a high temp resistance and a good sealing factor. The brown is a harder glass resin composite that requires two gaskets. For examples look at the hondata white gaskets and look at the bbk brown colored spacers for instance the one for the mustangs and you will se the difference

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just thought that I would let you guys all know...I talked to some people at sharkracing, which is where I bought the spacer, and they recommended using gaskets, they also said that what they do in their own shop is run a gasket on the head side and some king of silicone sealer on the other, just lettin you know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts