Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive noticed this vibration off and on for a while and it seems to recently getting worse. When i stop at a light or stop sign, etc, and the car is in drive i will often get a very harsh vibration coming from the engine/trans.. It seems to be the worst when i stop real fast as compared to slow. If i let go of the brakes the vibration stops immediatly, and will return once i apply them, usualy, but not always. Sometimes when i shift to park, reverse then back to drive it will stop. And most of the time when it vibrates, when i start to move again it is a little rough, almost like when you try to start a manual 5-speed in second. Maybe my tranny is sticking in second? For a while i was thinkg this, but i changed my mind when it seems to shift at about 15mph. Sometimes i would go for days without any vib's at all. But recently its doing it often. If anyone has experencied this before, or has any ideas, PLEASE let me know. :dead::dead:

*duy* my car is a 1997 elantra with 140K i recently replaced the head after a timing break (yes it vibrated before as well) and installed a used tranny at 110K thanks!

[Edited by elantra4will on Feb 13, 2006 9:55 PM]

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hmm sounds like a torque converter issue. Does it have any dtc's for the tranny ? Also, did you reuse the torque converter, and when was the last time the fluid has been checked/changed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No dtc's, no cel. NOt sure if we used the original torque converter or the "new" one, i left the other t-c and bad tranny core with the guy who helped me install it. I remember the last time it started doing this, i changed out the tranny flud, and it was damn near perfect. The only this is i used some partly sythetic atf at advance that listed "hyundai" on it as compatible but it was not sp-II and im worried that the plastic peices inside might be damaged? The fluid level is a nightmare. It is impossibe to get a accurate reading on the dipstick when in park. Someone told me i had to check it in nuetral, which will register on the stick in a normal way, and someone else said i need to check it hot with the engine off, which also give a readable, but different reading. I really dont know much about torque converters, do you think this might be the issue? :??:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Well if it would stay locked up then the car would stall when comming to a complete stop and during hard deceleration. If there is something wrong with the converter itself, or the torque converter clutch solenoid then it can cause this intermittent vibration. Also it can also be due to a malfunctioning sensor thats not telling the TCM that you have the brakes on, and thus not resleasing the converter clutch.

theres also a possibility of bad mount, or mounts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I was having vibrating issues like you describe but I have a manual and it was caused by my mounts. my front mount was blown out and the rear wasn't far behind. It would vibrate only at stop and it would be random.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Sounds like the most likely culprits are mounts (either bad or loose bolts from the tranny swap), improperly fastened torque converter, or cracked flex plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts