Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls,
I know a little about turbos but could still be considered a newb on the topic so bare with me on this post. I have an 04 2.0L tib and I have done a lot of modifying to the car but not a lot on the engine. My car right now is a lot of show and no go and it is nice to look at but i want to go faster. I also got the car as sort of a gift and it is automatic. I have done some research and found turbo kits that are made for the auto however it can only be stage one and the transmission can only take up to 200whp. My question is, it worth all the money for only like a 60-70 hp gain. I mean that still is a lot of gain but I do not know what to expect witht he car being auto. Damn, I wish it was just manual and I would not have these problems. Let me know what you think and if you know of anyone else that has gone turbo with an auto or if I will get laughed at etc. Thanks!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
It depends on what you are going to use the car for. If its for racing, then yes its worth it. Youll prol gain 60-70whp at low boost and higher numbers when you up the boost. The auto tranny isn't bad and it can handle more than 200whp, however, it can hinder you in the long run b/c of different gearing ratios than a manual. The good side is that you will never miss a shift in a race. I've been turbod for about 7 mo now with an auto tran with 159k miles on it and havn't had any problems so far. Plus nothing is more classic than to win a race and look at the oppenents face when they've just been beaten by a hyundai

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well...

Nothing is wrong with an automatic transmission. Granted, your car is a bit heavier, and it does acellerate a tad slower, but nothing beats computer controlled shifting. It's usually more expensive to upgrade an automatic transmission, but I got mine done with a 3600 Hi Stall TQ, but it was on a different platform. Kids with manual transmissions are gonna wonder how the hell you can jump off the line so quick at full boost while they're just starting to build theirs.

Check out Level 10 transmissions! They're expensive, but worth it if you're willign to shell out the cash. You can always go to local transmission shops and see what they can do for you also.

Howie~

P.S. Dragonis is right... Auto trannies can hold much more power than manual transmissions stock. 200 hp seems a bit low. 250 seems a bit better

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I guess I just needed to know that going turbo with an auto isnt that bad. I just had it in my mind that t wouldnt be worth it. Did you guys buy a whole kit for your car or did you peice it out. I am looking around for turbo kits for an 04 Tib and not really having that much success. Where can I get a nice kit that will put me at the 200-250whp range??

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright that kit is sweet but what are you guys running how did you piece it out? Obviously I want more bang for the buck so any help would be appeciated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts