Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I live in Illinois and I got that damn paper in the mail that is ordering me to go take an emmision test. Now I have headers on my 04 Tib I4 and we all know that that eliminates the first Cat and causes a bunch of things to happen to the O2 sensors. I researched the problem and to my understanding all your O2 sensors need is a pre and post reading before and after a cat. What I did was made my second cat act as my first one and put an O2 sensor before the second cat (which is near the engine bay) and the second O2 sensor after the second cat (near the middle of the car) by extending the wires. I thought that this would be the exact same thing and I would not get a CEL but I still do.

Now this problem was not a problem all of the time. I sometimes would have the CEL off for as much as 2 weeks and then it would come on again for like 2 days and be off again. Finally it was off for like a month and then when it went back on again it stayed there and has not gone away. When I got the notice I brought my car to an auto store and had the codes read. It was reading 6 codes and they all said "bank 1 sensor 2" which is my second O2 sensor. This isolates the problem but the codes were saying that the sensor was not responding and there were problems with the heater. To me this sounds like my O2 sensor slowly failed and now I have a bad O2 sensor. If all I have to do is replace the O2 then cool but I was just wondering if I will have to do more than that.

Do I have to get O2 simulators?? And is the setup that I originally had a good one?? Would that be enough to not get a CEL?? What am I going to have to do to pass this stupid emmisions test? Thank you any info will help me out!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
i don't know how strict your state is on emmisions but i would suggest getting one o2 sim just to help clean up the check engine code and with one cat you should be cleaning up the exhaust to get by an inspection. however i would suggest double checking your 2nd o2 sensor wires to ensure that you have good connections on the heater wire before you buy an o2 sensor that you don't need.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright thanks I will pick it up and give it a try. Do yo uknow if this will make me be able to pass the test?? I guess they just plug into the ecu now anyway to see if I am flipping codes so if I do not have a CEL on anymore then I should be fine right?? I am still wondering if my o2 snesor is just bad, or something happened when it was extended.

·
Registered
256 Posts
the simulator actually has nothing to do with electronics it is designed to move the 02 sensor out of the exhaust stream because being that you have removed the factory restrictive cat it is being bombarded with dirty exhaust flow and thinks that the cat has failed. before you replace your 02 sensor check your wires to see if one or more has little to no conectivity becuase 02 sensor are very picky about the signal they get. even with the simulator you may still pop up a code once in a while mine only comes back after extended highway use but i have 0 cats on my car.
good luck with the test.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help man hopefully everything works out. On your car after you get a code after highway driving does it reset itself or do you have to clear the codes??

·
Registered
256 Posts
i take it to auto zone and they clear it for me. sometimes i will dissconnect the negative battery term and then hold the brake for 15 sec and that will clear the code but being autozone is next door to my work i just take it there

my codes are for bank 1 & 2 lean so my codes may not nessarally be from the 02 sensors but the fact that i need to upgrade my fuel system

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see well I hope this $20 fix makes me pass the test. I have bought it and it has shipped so we will see. Hopefully I can install it and drive around for like 2 weeks so that my ecu gets out of idle relearn without throwing a code. Damn emissions

·
Registered
26 Posts
so did it all work out? i had the same troubles last month in missouri but i passed on the 30th! whew! let me know what codes, precisely, that your getting....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I havent got the part yet so I am not about to go get it tested. I am going to examine the wires to my second o2 sensor and install the part and see how it runs. I will prob drive around for like 7-10 days o make sure it doesnt flip any codes. I will get the codes before I install the part

·
Registered
5 Posts
im a emmisions inspector after the light is off it just needs to be off for 100-200 miles. as long as the code is cleared and the light stays off you wont have a problem but the codes have to be cleared. then drive it for that many miles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a lot man that helps. You wouldnt happen to be an emmisions tester in illinois would you;). Cause I bet you would understand and could help me out. I also found out that if I can not get this figured out I can apply for my car to be a show car and as long as I do not drive more than 7000 miles then I am good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
im not a tester in illinois. but as far as the showcar thing i have never heard of that. i have heard of an emmisions waiver but it is hard to get. you need to have so much work done depending on the value of the car by a certified emmisions repair shop.and send all the reciepcts to the registry. but again if book value on the car is 15000 you need to spend probably almost 2000 on it. and not have it pass to get the waiver.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well I looked at all the wires and wiring harnesses today and nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I went and bought another o2 snesor and spliced and installed that and reset the codes and I no longer have a CEL. Now I have only diven like 20 miles and sarted the car like 3 times but I hope that all it was was a bad o2 sensor. Lets pray to the car gods that I get to 200 so that I can pass the test.

Now I disconnected the battery because I was doing things with wiring and I always do that and that is how I reset my codes. Is there a longer time period that I have to wait to get the test done???

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright I took the test and PASSED!!!!! I was nervous as hell but everything turned out ok. I bet it was my second o2 sensor being bad because my setup was the same as the original. I do have the part installed that was mentioned earlier in this thread so that might have helped too. Thanks for all your help guys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts