Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else annoyed when someone talks about them adding a stage 2 clutch, or stage 3 turbo, or stage 53424 intake downleft pipe? WTF does than mean when you compare it to.. well anything else? Did I miss something in the last year and half. Did someone standardize what the stages mean? Also along with that now companies are ****ing doing it. Stage 2 Clutch is the only info they give. Just "Stage 2, its better than Stage 1, but not as good as Stage 3". This makes it really hard to compare there products with other companys and I am sure thats why they like doing that. How about some clamp pressure specs for the PP, some kinda measurement of how much friction is available from the clutch itself (so you could use that with the clamp load to figure out how my hp that thing can handle), how much the ****er weights??!?! something! When I was buying my new clutch only one company actually provided me with any real numbers. Spec, clutchmasters, amico, and a few others just had that stage bullshit. ACT gave a little bit better information about what they where selling me and I ended up going with them. When I was shopping for springs the ONLY information I could get was how much they would drop the car. No information at all about spring rates. This is not ****ing Gran Turismo. Ok.. I feel better now.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
I have a stage 4 car. :smoking:

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Funny, over here we can get things to the spec we want so maybe it's just down to marketing over on your end. Very often, the sales reps get bombarded by ricer talk so theyd need to go get the specs from either the stockists or engineers. Eg. if you walk into a suspension place and ask for a "stage 3 kit" the fist thing you're gonna get asked is "what are you going to do with the car, how much lower do you want to go, and what poundage do you want?" or somthing even worse for a ricer.

I have to agree though, it's bloody frustrating whe people you meet say that. Very often they have no idea what the difference in the "stages" mean, because usually its just a longer list of parts ie:

-????works Stage 1 = Intake, airbox, plugs, muffler
-Stage 2 = all that plud mid-pipe and header
-Stage 3 = all the above and SAFC, dyno time,
-Stage 4 = all that and cams with verniers
-Stage 5 = all that and compression up with a metal gasket

And not an actual difference in the parts themselves. Bigger number, the more you spend. The problem I noticed is that people too often use "stages" as a word to sound cool.:dead:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I know with cam shafts the "stage 1-2-3-4 thing can mean a lot, when i changed my stock cam in my 4runner to a Stage 2 TRD cam it meant i was putting in a cam that would be the maximum allowance for my stock engine without having to upgrade others, once other upgrades were complete i could switch to a stage 3 which meant that basicly i needed a cam for "X" number of upgrades done to the enghine. I have not gotten into the performance side of my accent to much so I do not know if it was much the same.

I would imagine there is a large share of the market only using those words to sell parts because they sound impressive to ricers and retards. But i am sure there are some where that is legit parts naming.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Ive got a stage 15 dashboard :lol:

no seriously Ive redone that thing like a million times. Different paint jobs, different components, etc.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok but compare TRDs "stage 1" to comp cams "stage 1" cams for the same car/truck. That tells you what? You can compare the same companys stuff other versions of the same product but it doesn't tell you crap in reality. Like duration, lift, whats it made of, hollow, etc???. Yeah great so TRD atleast allows you to know how much work is evolved with what stage whatever to install with another stage of whatever but do you really know what you are getting compared to anyone else? Nope and thats my bitch. That and I hate to hear I have a stage *insert number here* *insert product name* when your talking to another "car guy". **** half the time they dont even know what company made it.... I get that alot when talking about turbos. :dead: I have a stage 1 turbo on the way. What kind? A stage 1. Umm who made it and what trim is it? I already told you, stage 1, Im going for 350whp with 25lbs of boost. Ok...

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Originally posted by WytchDctr
[body]
ok but compare TRDs "stage 1" to comp cams "stage 1" cams for the same car/truck. That tells you what? You can compare the same companys stuff other versions of the same product but it doesn't tell you crap in reality. Like duration, lift, whats it made of, hollow, etc???. Yeah great so TRD atleast allows you to know how much work is evolved with what stage whatever to install with another stage of whatever but do you really know what you are getting compared to anyone else? Nope and thats my bitch. That and I hate to hear I have a stage *insert number here* *insert product name* when your talking to another "car guy". **** half the time they dont even know what company made it.... I get that alot when talking about turbos. :dead: I have a stage 1 turbo on the way. What kind? A stage 1. Umm who made it and what trim is it? I already told you, stage 1, Im going for 350whp with 25lbs of boost. Ok...
[/body]
That's pretty much exactly it; Stages mean practically nothing except a bigger number without the need to disclose vital infomation. The problem becomes worse when you're looking for that specific somthing.

Example: "I need a turbo that will produce 550 brake at 23psi, whil still staying in the max efficiency rating of its compressor map. What have you got?"

Sales: "Well we have a Stage 3 kit that will make 550hp..."

Me: "Well, response is an issue to me, so what AR and trims are both ends of it?"

Sales: "Well, it's supposed to have pretty good spool up for a Stage 3 kit..."

Me: "Does it come with a BB core, and is it watercooled? Whose cores do you base these on?"

Sales: ". . . . . . "

See what I mean? It's hard when you need very specific parts, and very specific parts are what you need when you want to build things the way they need to be. :dead:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It is tough when crossing vendors, with my TRD stuff it was easy because the stage 123 stuff meant a lot when buying more trd stuff. Crossing over to comp cams and other performance stuff would have been a nightmare without forums like this and guys who have tried things before. To bad it was not universal.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
tomorrow im putting in stage 5 axle oil. :smoking:

·
Registered
978 Posts
my car is in the stage 1.35 point right now. after spring it should be in the stage 3 section, but right now 1.35 should do, that is, if stock is stage 0. if stock is stage 1 then I guess I am at stage 2.35 and would be at stage 4 after this spring, but that's way too high, so I think that stock is stage 0, and I am at stage 1.35 right now, could call it 1.452, but stage 1.35 sounds just about right, because then after spring if right now I was at stage 1.452 then I would be at stage 3.452, which is just not right, or it could be at stage 4.452 if stock is stage 1, well crappers, someone help me, is stock stage 1 or stage 0, or is it even a stage. for those who are reading this I am truly sorry, don't try to find me unless this annoyed you, then you have a right to know who I am, I am at stage 1.35 no 1.452 because I have to put on my pedals, then I will be at 1.452, and I think stock is 0.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I also hate this "stage" video game style method.

Am I the only one who laughs out loud whenever I see 2 people arguing about what would win...over the internet...between a stage 3 turbocharged XXXX and a stage 2 supercharged XXXX? NO additional specs, just a stage number. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts