Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, so it begins
I have everything i need now, i had the shell and a wrecked donor tiburon delivered to my house today.

Plans:
  • Completely gut the accent, seats, carpet, dash, wiring, engine, tranny, everything.
  • Rip the wiring harness and tranny out of the tiburon along with any sensors i need.
  • Install tib wiring harness in accent.
  • Install engine and tranny into accent.
  • Get the car running lol.
  • Get some lower comp pistons in that bitch.
  • Get the turbo installed and tuned to probably ~20psi.
  • Rims and tires prolly 15x8 lightweight rims with fatty slicks on there until i bust an axle.

Pix soon!!!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i just don't want it to blow up, its just gonna be run on the track, so... not too much stress lol

oh yeah forgot to add i got my ksports and those are goin on it too :)
and i wanna get fiberglass hood and hatch for it :) if anyone knows where i can get one made that would be awsome

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright, just got off work and spent probably about 20 minutes taking panels and seats out, to begin the gutting.

Here is the donor tib where i'm getting all the sensors tranny and wiring harness from:

Here are pics on my project car, starting the gutting:

·
Registered
502 Posts
wow looks like a really good site to see. when done

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey when i drop the new engine in, do i use the 3 motor mounts from the tib or will my 3 accent ones work, just need to know if i have to order tiburon poly mounts or accent mounts. or is everything the same?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
you should be able to use the Accent mounts, but I think one of them needs to be moved over somewhere...not too sure.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
for the front and rear tranny mounts, i'd use the tibby ones. they are a bit bigger and i'm guessing will hold the weight of the beta better. doubt it matters, and if you have to spend money on tibby ones don't, but if you have them, i'd use them. the drivers side mount i've found you can cut the accent one to fit, and the passenger is custom

·
Registered
124 Posts
hey when i drop the new engine in, do i use the 3 motor mounts from the tib or will my 3 accent ones work, just need to know if i have to order tiburon poly mounts or accent mounts. or is everything the same?
If the "95" on the windshield means it's a 1995 the only mount that should remain stock is the drivers side one. If I'm not mistaken the 95-96 X3 uses a cross member that bolts to the engine not the trans so that will have to be modded.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its a 95, and why would a cross member hold the engine in?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so what would i have to do? change the mount locations?
would the crossmember be sturdy enough to hold high hp?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm in the same situation. Once I get the motor in I'll just fabricate something to go from the mount to the cross member. I'm sure it will hold whatever power you can throw at it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so, probably just a simple weld job?
but wait, if the engine in the 95-96 are the same from 97-99 then the mounts should be in the same exact location and we shouldn't run into any problems.

theoretically of course.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm not sure how far you are with your swap but I got mine in over the weekend. FYI I swapped both beta motor and trans.

1: I used the drivers side mount off of the Accent. I had to notch out for the the clutch slave cylinder but it fit nicely after that and it put the trans in the correct location. I tried to use the Tiburon mount at first but the frame holes would have had to be re-drilled and it jammed the crank pulley up against the frame, the Accent mount gave me a little bit of room there.

2. On the drivers side I used the Tiburon mount. It fits pretty good but made the engine sit a little high because it hits the bottom of the support. I used a hammer and a drift to bent that space down some to level it out. Also the hole will have to be relocated a little up and to the left. I'm still undecided on if I'm going to keep the mount this way. I have a hacked up stock Accent mount that I was going to weld to fit but I kind of like the tib mount setup.

3. On the front and rear mount I decided to go with a 97-99 cross-member. The back side bolts up fine to the body but the front required a slight modification to the radiator support. In hindsight I wish I just left the stock cross-member in and welded supports to the stock tib mounts, would have been quicker.

I've not had time to mess with the axles because I only had one day to devote to this.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sounds good, i'll see what i come up with, i'm still prepping the car and the engine is out getting rebuilt, pistons installed all that good stuff...

hey how much boost can the stock valve springs hold or would i need stronger ones?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update:

Very slow process, but engine/tranny is out!!! Now to rip out the wiring harness, and take the tiburon harness out. Maybe get the car cleaned up take a pressure washer to it.

Pics:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts