Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to be doing a beta 2 swap in my LC. My LC is the 1.5L with a manual transmission. I will be trying to document my project and take loads of pictures in the process.

I still have some question that would be help full if answered!
Will the 1.5L starter work with the Beta 2 and LC 1.5 transmission? Yes, with mods it will work.
:D:D

First of all is my shopping list.
1. 2001-2003 Elantra or 2003-2004 Tiburon engine. They are the MAP based engines. Around $400-1k, depending on miles.
2. Manual transmission starter. Used $35-50
4. 1.6 DOHC LC ECU. Used $100.00
5. Clutch (Scoupe turbo). New $95.00
6. OBX under drive pulley. New $78.00*
8. Water pump. New $60.00
9. Timing belt. New $55.00
10. Spark plugs and wires. New $60.00
* Parts not needed to complete swap. Just easier to do when the motor is out of the car.

All parts are gathered....

Updated shopping list.

·
Registered
99 Posts
guy here in aus did a beta swap not that long ago - the x3 starter didnt work on the beta
he used an australian mitsubishi magna/sigma reduction gera starter taht bolted straight onto the alpha box
he also used a beta lightwheight flywheel and a i think an x3 exedy HD button clutch

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
guy here in aus did a beta swap not that long ago - the x3 starter didnt work on the beta
he used an australian mitsubishi magna/sigma reduction gera starter taht bolted straight onto the alpha box
he also used a beta lightwheight flywheel and a i think an x3 exedy HD button clutch
just so you don't get confused by this the LC starter will work you may just have to cut or grind away on the sheet metal plate between the block and trans to let the holes line up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
isnt the X3 starter the same as the accent one?

cause thats what he did, ground away some of the plate, but still couldnt get it to sit right and was grinding up the starter gear....
just so you don't get confused by this the LC starter will work you may just have to cut or grind away on the sheet metal plate between the block and trans to let the holes line up.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
The 1.5 tranny wont fit the beta block without cutting a nice chunk of metal out of the beta block to make room for the slave cylinder thats on the 1.5 tranny. Also save yourself the trouble and just get the 2.0 starter, you will have enough modifications to deal with so why add another one, but thats up to you.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I used the 2.0l starter. I couldnt get the alpha one to line up right?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Josh, I hope you are aware you need to change out the wiring harness and ECU, since the 1.5 motor is MAF based and the early beta 2s are map based. The 04+ beta 2's have the CVVT unit, which that is a all different animal.

My best advise is to get a beta 2 trans as well as the starter. The bell housing and 1.5 block are different (slightly) than the 1.6 which makes parts interchange a little harder.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Josh, I hope you are aware you need to change out the wiring harness and ECU, since the 1.5 motor is MAF based and the early beta 2s are map based. The 04+ beta 2's have the CVVT unit, which that is a all different animal.

My best advise is to get a beta 2 trans as well as the starter. The bell housing and 1.5 block are different (slightly) than the 1.6 which makes parts interchange a little harder.
HEED THIS ADVICE

i said it before but since you and I have a 1.5 there's a **** ton of things that need to be changed on this, INCLUDING WIRING. I fancy myself to be mechanically inclined and brushed off the wiring as something i could figure out. don't be me and get ****ed by it. get a plan for it before you even rip out your alpha.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I know that the wiring is different. I am going to get a 1.6 DOHC ecu and used that. I need to rewire the maf to map and i also think I need use the alpha crank sensor. I plan to grab a 01-02 elantra motor, but I need a truck which i dont have so i may have an issue getting the motor. I am not going with CVVT!!!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I know that the wiring is different. I am going to get a 1.6 DOHC ecu and used that. I need to rewire the maf to map and i also think I need use the alpha crank sensor. I plan to grab a 01-02 elantra motor, but I need a truck which i dont have so i may have an issue getting the motor. I am not going with CVVT!!!
I have a utility trailer that I use for stuff like that. Where is the motor at?

Wished you were up here.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts