Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is why does this engine ping and knock with 87 octane fuel. I shouldn't have to run higher octane with this engine should I? It is a 2001 hyundai accent gs 1.5 ltr sohc with 48 000 km on the odometer and automatic. Another thing I noticed about the shift stratagy of the auto is when I'm coming up to a yield sign and slow to a crawl the tranny stays in third gear unless I WOT it to make it kick down but then it just jumps to first and starts wailing why doesn't it ever shift down to second when I'm slowing then accelerating. I find that it just lugs the motor and increases the knocking and pinging. Or should I just run 89 octane and shut up and just drive the thing? for such a low hp motor it should run fine on 87 octane like the manual says.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Don't know anything about automatics other than recommending a transmission service...
The pinging you may be hearing might be related to the HLAs... do an oil flush with an oil change using 10W30 semi-synthetic (and a decent fileter) and see if that helps the problem...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by skycam
[body]
It is a 2001 hyundai accent gs 1.5 ltr sohc
[/body]
I think you may have your badging confused. Is it a GS or 1.5 ltr? The GS has a 1.6 ltr engine. The L has a 1.5 ltr.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
In Canada, though, the GS has been the base model for some time. When the 1.6 was first available, the GS was the cheapest model, and came with the 1.5, while the GSi and the GL came with the 1.6.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I don't think it is lifter noise, it is detonation (ping, knock). My 03 Elantra has lifter noise but only for about 30 sec after startup then the lifter fills with oil and is fine. The accent just doesn't like 87 oct, if I run higher octane it goes away. I've fought with the dealer about this with my old car (2000 Accent GL first year had the 1.5)and they keep telling me I have to run high octane gas. I think thats BS. I wonder if an aftermarket O2 sensor might help? suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
I run 87 octane in my Accent, and it runs fine. Now, it runs a little smoother on 91 octane, but my car has 213,000 km on it and 95% of that has been done using 87 octane and there have been no ill effects.
You're not the only one who's complained about pinging with the 1.5... I believe it was AccentAE86 who mentioned it in the past. Hyundai engines tend to be higher compression than engines in many other cars (10.0:1 in the case of the 1.5) so that may contribute, but it should run fine on 87 octane.
Personally, I'm not sure I even know what pinging and knocking sound like, so maybe my car's doing it and I'm not even aware of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It almost sounds like someone is playing spoons in the engine. Mostly under a slight load and I can almost bet that it only happens with automatic trans.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Checking the knock sensor is pretty easy:
<a href="http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394878315&modelyr=2001&modelid=2&enginemotormmc=22&pre=0&reviewed=1#_394878315">Knock Sensor</a>

For both diagnostic codes, P3025 and P3026 (relating to the knock sensor), the CEL will <b>NOT</b> illuminate. You may want to have the car read to see if any cods have been set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tugger thanks alot I'll start with that. Funny thing is that the knocking is slowly going away, the more hard miles I put on the engine the less I hear the knocking. Previous owner put 47 000km in 3 years which isn't alot so I figure it was city driven and maybe alot of carbon biuldup or " hot spots " appeared and with me running it really hard it's cleaning up. Maybe I'll run some really good injector and combustion chamber cleaner on next fillup and see what happens. thanks agian Tugger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts