Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaning heavily toward K&N but thought I would ask... anyone have either and love/hate it?

Also, short ram or full intake?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
My vote...AEM CAI.

·
Registered
241 Posts
AEM = CRAP

For the Tibby, go with the Injen SRI. It's much longer than a typical SRI and places the filter far away from engine heat.

A true CAI will usually give more performance increase over a typical SRI but not the Injen due to its design. Plus, you won't have to worry about hydrolocking your engine with the Injen SRI like you would with a real CAI.

Injen SRI gives about 98% of the power increase of any other CAI.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I wouldn't have to relocate my battery for either the CAI or the SRI, right?

I've just read in some other forums about others having to relocate batteries with some intakes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
And I wouldn't have to relocate my battery for either the CAI or the SRI, right?

I've just read in some other forums about others having to relocate batteries with some intakes.
I had an Injen SRI on my 2004 Tib. The battery did not have to get relocated and the filter sat between the battery and the fender, just behind the headlight and over a hole in the unibody. If you go with a CAI you will have to cut that hole open more to fit the tube down into the wheel well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read some good things about Injens, but K&N has a long history and makes a CCA (Complete Cold Air) that can be converted to both a SRI and an CAI.

Seems like the best of both worlds to me, anyone have any experience with that intake? Would I have to cut a bigger hole for that one as well?

Also, and this'll be the last question for real...

I see that K&N makes a Drycharger cover to keep water out for the CAI, but I can't help but wonder if this restricts air flow or is even really effective?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've had 2 Injen intakes on 2 different cars (the Tib and a Pontiac Vibe). They were both of high quality. I like K&N too but for the Tib, the Injen SRI is the best way to go. You wouldn't have to convert it like the K&N. The Injen SRI for the Tib is the best of both worlds. All the power increase of a CAI with no worries.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I've never heard anyone take AEM seriously myself either...

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Know how to read and comprehend much? He has a 2003 GT Tib. That's a GK V6, not a RD 2.0L.

AEM makes crap. Period.

Injen is way better.
Evidence, or just 'cause you said so? I've been to their factory/warehouse, I've seen their R&D and production methods, I've tested their products on several cars, and right now, the FIC is the piggyback to have for Hyundai's.

The fact that he has a GK V6 doesn't matter. A quality product is a quality product.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
i believe the aem kit is just a filter? or is that the K&N. i know its one of the two.

If you want whats best for your car, you will go with the injen SRI. If you want to not listen and just get what ever you want, do that too.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i believe the aem kit is just a filter? or is that the K&N. i know its one of the two.
The AEM SRI is just a filter to place on the MAF and a small bracket to support it.

If you want whats best for your car, you will go with the injen SRI. If you want to not listen and just get what ever you want, do that too.
[/THREAD]

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
You are correct, but AEM does NOT make a quality product.
Without any evidence, your statements ring hollow. You sound like you have buyer's remorse, rather than any factual information... Like maybe you bought something, didn't like it and they wouldn't refund your money.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Without any evidence, your statements ring hollow.
Ditto to you

You sound like you have buyer's remorse, rather than any factual information... Like maybe you bought something, didn't like it and they wouldn't refund your money.
No, no buyers remorse here. I've seen their crap on other peoples cars and that was enough for me to know to stay away. I've wasn't stupid enough to waste my money on their crap.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I have evidence. We did an intake test here back in the day. That's where I got the 11.7whp number... from our own testing, not from AEM. I'd post the thread, but it went missing when the new owners transferred the board to their software.

Like I said, I've also been to their warehouse and production facility and seen how their stuff is made. I have also used their intakes on 3 Hyundai's, a Jeep, a Nissan Frontier and a 350Z. I've never had a single problem with any of them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have evidence. We did an intake test here back in the day. That's where I got the 11.7whp number... from our own testing, not from AEM. I'd post the thread, but it went missing when the new owners transferred the board to their software.

Like I said, I've also been to their warehouse and production facility and seen how their stuff is made. I have also used their intakes on 3 Hyundai's, a Jeep, a Nissan Frontier and a 350Z. I've never had a single problem with any of them.
Like someone once said:
"Without any evidence, your statements ring hollow."

Whatever. You're right, I'm wrong.

You win.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, looks like it's been established that I won't be going with the AEM.

So, how about back to Injen and K&N? Anyone? I've pretty much already made the decision for myself (thanks for the help, by the way), but if anyone has anything else to say about them I'd be interested to know.

:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, would I need to reset the ECU after adding the intake? I've read on other posts that people reset after every mod?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts