Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My girlfriend has an '03 GSI (auto tranny) with about 150 000 kms. This overdrive issue has been going on for a while now. Everything will be "normal" with overdrive switched "on"...we'll be driving along and then she'll lose overdrive. If she parks the car for a bit (i.e. stop to get groceries or something) she'll start the car again after and overdrive will be back. It'll last for a bit while driving and then go out again sooner or later. Keeps doing this. I've search on this forum but didn't find anyone with this specific issue. Could it be a sticking solenoid or something. I'm hoping somebody here might now so I could just go buy the part and change it myself instead of doing a "diagnostic" Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thats a common issue on this car. It the pulse generators on the transmissions that go. I think new from the dealer is only $60-$100 not too bad...

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Thats a common issue on this car. It the pulse generators on the transmissions that go. I think new from the dealer is only $60-$100 not too bad...
On the 03's, there is a inhibitor switch that sometimes fails. The pulse generator solenoids do fail, but not as much on the 03's due to a revision; the 2000-2002's had bad PG assemblies. The TCM has a code that is for the bad sensor/switch/solenoid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts