Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving to work this morning in the rain and my car began to misfire. it lost about half the power that it had and i dont know why. i thought maybe the wires were wet but i pulled over and everything seemed dry. i replaced the ignition coil packs about a month ago and wire and plugs. i even tryed to reset the ecu in the parking lot but i got nothing. it has 65,000 and it doesnt seem to idle as high as before either. is it possible that the timing belt jumped as needs to be replaced. please help

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
What kind of plugs wires are you using? Are the plug wires seated fully on the coil packs and on the plugs? Are the plug galleys covered fully?

·
Registered
978 Posts
That's just dialetric grease, helps conductivity. also used on the spark plug ends. Does not really help keep moisture out.

Might be a crack on the coil pack somewhere. At night look for it, should see the arc. We had to do this on my friends VR6 Golf, just put some gasket sealer on it, made it look pretty, problem solved until he has the cash for a new one, but it's a semi-perm fix. couple more years on it easy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now it is running fine. i have platnum plugs and 7mm wires. and there is no crack or arching from any of the plugs or coil. so i dont know, it is confusing!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Have you replaced your fuel filter recently?.
Nick.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have had that problem on 2 occassions. both of which during rain. the first time was under heavy downpour ( i mean heavy!) engine would not raise above 3500 rpm. cel came on. showed up as multipile misfires. second time was during light rain when i drove 35mph through a 8 inch deep puddle. cel came on. multiple misfires and #4 cylinder misfires. What happens is water gets inbetween the block and spark plug causing a grounding of the spark before it can reach the electrode tip inside the engine that ignites the air/fuel mixture.

cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts