Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first ever AutoX

I was happy to get the number 187.

I was going into some of the corners a little too hot.

Tripodding is for wussies. Try getting her up on 2 wheels!

I barely made it through these gates but I did and didn't hit any cones somehow.

This was going into the first corner.

Not a lot of contact on the inside tires here either. Even with 46psi I was rolling my front driver's side tire over on it's sidewall in this corner.

I can't get enough of the tripod pics.

hundreds more pics here: 187sks/Racing/AutoX_PW_060808 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
737 Posts
awesome shots i'm sure you had a great time

I can't get enough of autoxing now

get yourself some negative camber in front it makes a world of difference. then you won't have to run such high tire pressures.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it was a blast. I have 2 more autox events scheduled already. :)

I have to go ahead and write Whiteline a pretty sizeable check pretty soon for some suspension parts, including a couple of camber kits. I might adjust everything to the max negative camber that I can within factory adjustments for the time being. I'm currently at a tiny amount of negative camber, but not much.

Next event I think I'm running the Tib. After that I'll decide and make a few mods to the car I find to be most suitable (IMO) for autocross.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yeah it was a blast. I have 2 more autox events scheduled already. :)

I have to go ahead and write Whiteline a pretty sizeable check pretty soon for some suspension parts, including a couple of camber kits. I might adjust everything to the max negative camber that I can within factory adjustments for the time being. I'm currently at a tiny amount of negative camber, but not much.

Next event I think I'm running the Tib. After that I'll decide and make a few mods to the car I find to be most suitable (IMO) for autocross.
Where did you order these parts from? I am wanting to do my suspension soon, when I do my BBK upgrade!:)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get them from several places. I haven't chosen a place to buy through yet.

The US distributor for Whiteline is:
Global Performance Parts

They're a little tough to order from, you have to enter Whiteline catalog numbers into their search to find things. And they're expensive so if you can find them somewhere else you might be better off.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Hey Floyd!!!

There's no stopping the addiction now. I LOVE autocrossing my Accent. I'm telling you right now, the BEST investment you'll make for that car to autocross with it are the following 3 things:

front strut bar from Kspec
rear strut bar from Kspec
whiteline adjustable rear sway bar with poly bushings

if you get those three things, plus some killer tires(I run Falken Azenis tires all summer long) you'll be right up there with VW's and even giving the miatas a run for their money. I always used to get comments on how the car handled when people ran with me as passengers. For dailiy driving there's nothing like it either after these mods. I can easily take on and off ramps for the interstate at 60+ MPH and not even blink.

The car will oversteer like crazy after the sway bar gets on there - but I would rather have the ass coming around on me then plowing into a corner with the front tires.

·
Registered
737 Posts
invest in a bug/water sprayer as well it will get your tires back to a decent temp between runs, shouldn't cost you more than 10-15 bucks.

camber, camber, camber more negative camber will do wonders for you. With stock camber you fronts will take a beating. Even if you can get a degree it will help. With a camber bolt kit you should be able to get somewhere around -2 degrees which will be great. Remember to reset the toe afterwards though.

the rear sway bar is a key element for sure
run it full stiff but be cautious when trail braking

I also run some crazy tire pressures
36-38 hot psi front and 26-28 hot psi rear, it helps keep the rear end in check once it starts sliding, more of a progressive breakaway

the 615s are good tires but also look into the hankook z212s which cost about the same.

the best street tire in my opinion is the bridgestone re01r but they are a little more expensive. some people are seeing success with the new dunlops and the new toyos and kumho should be coming out with their new one sometime this summer or fall.

this is all advice from driving my lc so it will apply to yours better than my x3 setup, that is a completely different beast

·
Registered
329 Posts
YEAH!!! It's fun to watch, but not looking forward to the expenses. We just bought the Azenis Tires, gonna be getting the other stuff soon. Won't be long before we have to have a little trailer for the extra stuff. It's gonna be an expensive hobby for sure! But if it keeps him from racing in the streets its worth every penny. :D

·
Registered
737 Posts
wow I guess that is why i'm single

I spend to much time and money on my hobbies for most women, now if I could find a chick that was a diehard autocrosser i'd be in heaven.

hey just remember autocrossing is one of the most inexpensive motorsport hobbies out there.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm lucky in that regard. I never get any trouble with spending money on the cars. This here was the biggest complaint I've gotten.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I actually talk him into buying stuff rather than out of it. I encourage him having fun and spending money on fun stuff. Plus, if it makes him happy which I know this does then it makes me happy... A happy hubby makes for a happy wife!

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
hey just remember autocrossing is one of the most inexpensive motorsport hobbies out there.
Damn straight. Go circuit racing, even one or two-day events and you'll be spending so damned much on tyres, brakes, fuel and maintainence is it's funny at all.

·
Registered
737 Posts
damn, good women like you are hard to come by these days, you should get involved more yourself it is a great way to get some aggression out, and beat up on your hubby.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am a very lucky man. And to think, when I met her she was a militant feminist. She hated men and I thought she was a lesbian. It's funny how things change, but in this case it's a good thing.

But what she says is true. If it would make me happy I could go out and spend $50,000 on building a racecar right now. Or whatever else I might want.

But for the record no she doesn't have a sister. Lol.

·
Registered
329 Posts
damn, good women like you are hard to come by these days, you should get involved more yourself it is a great way to get some aggression out, and beat up on your hubby.
I am going to get into soon. I am going to go through a Novice course in October. I have met lots of other females that are into it, but I just am to timid to get into it to much yet. Right now I take out my aggression by shoot my pistol. I finally got to take it out and have been in a great mood since. LOL!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts