Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2005 Accent GS and would like to know if going to sport (GSi/GT) springs would stiffen my ride and help reduce the front/rear rear/front weight transfer when braking or accelerating ?

What are the respective spring rate numbers ?

Thanks a lot !!!

Yanick

·
Registered
686 Posts
the gt's have better suspension, yes. just put the eibach pro-kit on there, i got them for like 250 shipped brand new and then kyb struts

i dont know any numbers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want to lower, there's a lot of snow here ;)

Going for GT coils is maybe not the ultimate mod but if they do indeed have a slightly higher rate, that would definitely help. KYB struts are on my shopping list for sure since oems are about/already shot.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i have a friend here in ottawa who has a 1.2 or 1.6 inch drop and he has no problems with the snow here. i am planning on getting the 1.2 inch drop to help make my gsi even stiffer. just put a good set of winter tires on and u wont have a problem, since winters tires are mandatory in quebec now

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course I already have and always had good snow tires otherwise I would go nowhere.

As I mentionned, I would like feedback about the difference between regular and sport springs and if sport springs along with KYBs is a better setup than regular springs with KYBs. Lowering is not an option, I don't need another snow plow in the driveway ;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
686 Posts
1.2" isn't that low, but yeah, the thing that makes the gt, a gt, is the suspension

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
The GT/GSi suspension sits about half an inch lower than the standard Accent. The springs are stiffer too by a considerable amount but they're still not very stiff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The GT/GSi suspension sits about half an inch lower than the standard Accent. The springs are stiffer too by a considerable amount but they're still not very stiff.
You don't have teh respective rate numbers by any chance ?

Thanks a lot !

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Nope, no numbers unfortunately. I have however driven and worked on a number of Accents with various suspensions and the difference is noticeable. The GT springs are closer to the Eibach springs than to the stock springs in stiffness but are still softer than the Eibachs if that helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a friend who has an 03 GSI and his suspension is noticeably stiffer than in my 06 GS.

And man, there's a lot of Accents in Ottawa and Montreal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally changed my 2005 LC2 struts for KYB GR2 last weekend. I kept the 85000 km oem GS springs and the least that I can say is WoW ! What a different the new struts make ! No more rocking/diving when accelerating or braking, much more body control in all circumstances.

Of course comparing 85000 km struts with new ones is not doing apples with apples but I sure recommend to replace your worn struts, you'll not regret it !

I now like my Accent !

:)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I may be wrong but I hear the KYB struts are oem replacement as far as stiffness and size go for the GSI/GT....if thats the case why get them. If you wanted better handleing and change tghe wieght transfer get the GT/GSI suspension they are 45% stiffer than the regular GS. taht or get them with the eibach springs.
you can also improve handling a little by getting front and rear strut tower braces.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I mentioned, I now like my Accent so it's money well spent and I am happy !

Based on everything I have changed on the Accent with so said oem replacement parts, I think it is safe to say that the replacement parts perform better. I am not replacing Mercedes-Benz oem but Hyundai oem.

Enjoy !

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts