Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so not like i don't dig my car, but i've had her just over 4 years now. I have just under 29,000km's (so like 18k miles). I've been seeing all sorts of numbers as far as maintenance. I always change my oil every 6 months. Air filter i wash out my cone and give it a little reoiling. Spark plugs yearly... I want to know what everyone recommends as real life changing of auto tranny oil. Having the car 4 years and only putting in the milage of a 1 year old car, i just can't bring myself to fork over the dough to get new fluid/maintenance on it when i put like 200km per week on her.

I know that a lot of people bash the Hyundai auto for it's longevity (or lack there of) i plan to have this car for a long time cuz i'm a cheap dude but I really don't want to pay for the tranny service if i can postpone it for a while. I know it should be done at what 25k miles? So i'm a bit before that... can i wait or should i just get it done?

Thanks all

·
Registered
886 Posts
The book should tell you, I think it is 2 years or 24k miles but I am not possitive mine is all messed up cause I have had my trany replaced twice and another large transmission problem also that forced me to change the fluid so I think I only changed it once on my own. I think it was 24k miles after the first tranny was swapped. So was about 32k overall for the car. I personally think that you go off milage and not time for most maintance but Hyundai says otherwise. For example my car is over 6 years old but has 52k miles on it and Hyundai has been throwing a fit about the timing belt not being done. Which is supposed to be done at 5 years of 60k miles.

In the end my thoughts are you can never really change the tranny fluid or really any fluid in a car too often, so it might not be a bad idea to change it, it doesn't cost that much to get it done and even less if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was under the impression that you couldn't change it yourself properly. I read something about having to drain the tranny fully and not just what's in the pan and to do that you need a special tool (which sounds like crap to me but anything's possible i guess)
is tranny fluid like engine oil in that it looks different when it's bad? If so i suppose i could saunter out and check the dipstick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts