Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, a permanant write-up for the popular Mesh Grille DIY modification. It's a great little project, adding a whole new look for the front profile of the car.

You will need:
[*]A very short Phillip's-head screwdriver (or Phillip's-head drill bit, held by pliers)
[*]A regular Phillip's-head screwdriver
[*]Gutter Guard (bought at Lowe's for like $4)
[*]Wire cutters to cut the mesh

Locate and take out these 8 screws that hold the grille assembly to the bumper:
(from the top):

(bottom 2):

(2 on right side):

(2 on left side):

At this point, the entire grille assembly should just fall out. I don't have pictures from before I took the painted grille off of the black backing, but there are some 6-8 little gold screws holding the painted grille on to the black backing (unscrew them from the back of the black backing). After all of these screws are out, slowly (but firmly) press the tabs holding the painted grille on through down the length of the grille, and carefully and gradually work your hand down the length of the grille assembly, between the 2 pieces. If you do it right, it's actually pretty easy to separate the 2 pieces.

Ok so I went to Home Depot and found rolls of Gutter Guard, but they only had one size: 6"x20'...so that's the stuff I bought.

This stuff:

Here's some layout pictures:

Flip the grille piece over and lay it out over a cut length of mesh. Then, holding everything straight and still with one hand, use your other hand to tightly fold one end of the mesh over the end of the grille piece. Cut small holes in the mesh for the original screw posts (do this well and tight, as this will hold the mesh on in the end).

Fold the other end of the mesh over just like the first end, slightly stretching it before folding it.

Now, take either end of the now-folded-over mesh, and really stretch the stuff. Fold around again, and cut new holes for the screw posts.

When you're all folded and secured, trim the top of the mesh, and fold back the bottom edge of the mesh as well as possible.

Put the entire thing back on, stand back, and love your car's new look!

[Edited by attist178 on Jul 12, 2006 10:31 PM]

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Dont use Zip Ties, trust me. What you do is wrap the mesh around the underside of the black grille piece and use 2 or 3 of the little gold screws to hold it in place on the bottom. For the top if your mesh is stiff enough you can just wrap it around the top and cut the section for the hood latch out. If its not stiff enough dont worry just grab a few more screws and zip them into the top holes to hold the mesh down.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mesh I used was pretty thick and stiff, so I couldn't get it wrapped around tight enough to use the screws. Mine stayed on just fine with no reinforcement besides it being wrapped, I just used the Zip-ties around the edges and in 2 places in the center area just as a precaution so it wouldn't stretch out over time, and also so it wouldn't move ever so slightly and scratch the paint.

[Edited by attist178 on Feb 11, 2006 7:26 PM]

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Cool nicely done.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I wrapped mine around a bit and used zip ties.. no problems. Just use black zip ties cause white/clear shows up like a soar thumb.

Will be adding this to the DIY Articles Sticky.

[Edited by ftwvampftw on Feb 10, 2006 2:35 PM]

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
**UPDATE**
Yeah i most definitely need to get some different mesh with smaller holes...the stuff I used had 1/2" holes but I didn't think it would matter. Wow...was I wrong!

I put it on and everything tonight (with just primer sprayed on the mesh, no finishing color/topcoat) to see how it would look before I wasted good Black topcoat...and it looked like crap!!

So..basically, I most definitely need to get some much tighter-woven and thinner mesh and totally start over. I could barely even get the thing mounted back on the bumper because the wire was so thick. ARG!!

Here's a few pictures with it mounted...you can barely even tell that the mesh is there.

[Edited by attist178 on Feb 15, 2006 1:02 PM]

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
yea, get gutter guard from Home Depot or some stuff from Summit Racing and paint it black.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I went on the Home Depot web site and cannot find anything like gutter guard...and theres no chance I'm paying $45 for a 48"x16" sheet from Summit Racing...lol dang.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
EBAY it. Theres some company that sells powder coated mesh for like 10 bucks.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Do we all have silver cars sheesh. LOL hey indeffered whered you get your mesh. I got mine at autozone. Then sprayed it black.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
go to Home Depot, they dont have it on their website.. they're weird. Its in the roofing area I belive. Its like 1.49 for a sheet thats is almost perfect for our grills shape size. If you cant find any i'll send you some.

[Edited by ftwvampftw on Feb 12, 2006 8:33 AM]

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am one of the few that got lucky and had no trouble at all getting the painted bars off...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had no trouble getting the plastic GEO Metro looking grill off and Home Depot is the way to go for the mesh. I believe they have several different sizes and patterns to choose from. Will be redueing mine here shortly and will post some pics.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so I went to Home Depot and found rolls of Gutter Guard, but they only had one size: 6"x20'. Vamp--did you use the 6" wide stuff? Because I bought it ($2.47), and when I laid it out on my grille it seemed awfully close (width-wise)....

Here's the stuff I bought:

Here's some layout pictures:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
They sell 8" wide too i think. Not sure.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
i used the one that is stiff and not in a roll. Its about the size of the grill plus about 8in. They are in a stack and clip onto your gutter. Heres a pic of mine.. the black grill shows up more than it does in real life..

Maybe when I pick up my g/f from work and out to dinner i'll take a picture of what I bought. Its either at Home Depot or Lowes..

[Edited by ftwvampftw on Feb 14, 2006 6:57 PM]

1 - 20 of 62 Posts