Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my brakes started making funny sounds about a week ago. i figured it was about time to change the front pads. i couldn't get time off of work until yesterday. i bought the pads and some new rotors. long story short through lots of frustration and research i found i couldn't replace my rotors without special tools. So i replaced the pads and and am going on a search today to find the special tool to do the job. im not going to pay somebody to do it for me, this is a learning experience.

i have a slight leak in my front right tire. its been like this for about a month now and every weekend i have to put air in it. i am buying a new tire today.. Anyways this picture is the pad on the backside of the rotor on the front right wheel, the one with he leak... the other side didn't look near as bad. I think now im going to take little things like a leaky tire very seriously!!!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
your going to need a slide hammer and preferably an impact gun to get the rotor bolts off the hub and some good old fashion muscle.

this could be a tough job if the rotors haven't been off in awhile, if you aren't confident or don't have a lot of time on your hands i'd suggest getting a shop to do the labor for you and you provide the parts. this would save you from having to buy a slide hammer which aren't that cheap and you don't use them that much. For labor expect to pay about 2 hours(my shop is $80 and hour) for both sides just because of the slam off rotors.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I guess your car has those "captive rotors" I keep hearing about.
Good luck with that.
I bought the 02 accent because it looked easy to work on. Thank god they didn't use captive rotors on that (since I didn't check before buying)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So there is this place on my base called the auto hobby shop... all you can use tools for like $6 flat fee... i went and got a jack, air gun ratchet tool, some other tools and went to work.. simple, got wheel off. calipers off then the fun started.. i got a slide hammer, but the one they checked out to me didnt screw in and was a little bent but i managed to get the hub off after about 10 minutes of beating the crap out of my hands:mad: , put the new rotor on and so forth...

then i went to the other side.. spent about 15 minutes with the slide hammer... no budge, then the workers busted out a huge looking hub puller... that didnt work ether... then someone found a brand new slide hammer in the back, all chromed out... after about 20 minutes on that and rotating between like 3 guys whacking away, it finally came off!...

2 hours and $6 later my new rotors were installed and are working great!!!

i feel very accomplished:) , i learned a lot. i swear most guys get bit by the automotive bug at like 16 or so.... i just got interested a few weeks ago and i am obsessed now....

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
minorglitch215 said:
So there is this place on my base called the auto hobby shop... all you can use tools for like $6 flat fee... i went and got a jack, air gun ratchet tool, some other tools and went to work.. simple, got wheel off. calipers off then the fun started.. i got a slide hammer, but the one they checked out to me didnt screw in and was a little bent but i managed to get the hub off after about 10 minutes of beating the crap out of my hands:mad: , put the new rotor on and so forth...

then i went to the other side.. spent about 15 minutes with the slide hammer... no budge, then the workers busted out a huge looking hub puller... that didnt work ether... then someone found a brand new slide hammer in the back, all chromed out... after about 20 minutes on that and rotating between like 3 guys whacking away, it finally came off!...

2 hours and $6 later my new rotors were installed and are working great!!!

i feel very accomplished:) , i learned a lot. i swear most guys get bit by the automotive bug at like 16 or so.... i just got interested a few weeks ago and i am obsessed now....
Yeah I heard about that Auto Hobby place. I have a few buddy located in the Del MAr Barricks area ones on his way back from diplyment the other is about to get out. Still need to check that place out though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fintile said:
Yeah I heard about that Auto Hobby place. I have a few buddy located in the Del MAr Barricks area ones on his way back from diplyment the other is about to get out. Still need to check that place out though.
i work in the del mar area....

·
Registered
737 Posts
between the hyundais and the honda accords I don't know which are worse.

I have gotten to the point where i've just torched everything off and replaced the entire hub assembly.

now you know and knowing is half the battle

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I would have had that same problem except I just did the brake swap from the '01 Tiburon. Honestly it took me less time to do that then it took some of you guys to get your captive rotors off. Down side, can't use stock rims because the rotor is too big. Oh well I like my wheels :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts