Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the hyundai dealer to buy an O2 sensor for my 01 LC 1.5 SOHC; the one on the manifold. I almost crapped my pants when they said it was $275.

Who else makes 'em? I've usually bought BOSCH and NTK o2 sensors, and they are rarely over $70.

Just wondering if there's some kinda magic to the Hyundai sensors? Will the car run like crap with an aftermarket sensor or something?

I'm inclined to run an aftermarket sensor because since week 1 when I bought it new I've been putting 91+ octane into the car because it fricken pings like a madman, so I'm not convinced the hyundai ones are top notch.

anyone ever put in a cheaper O2??? Or mixed aftermarket o2 with the stock hyundai rear o2 sensor?

·
Registered
737 Posts
i'm sure you can find something at your local parts store for much cheaper

the inflation on factory parts is ridiculous even for private shops like the one I work in, we might get a 5-10% discount but its still outrageous.

you should be fine with something from the aftermarket like a bosch equivalent

·
Registered
499 Posts
I doubt that the pinging is caused by the O2 sensor. It should not ping even with 87 octane gas. Perhaps the timing is off somehow. Carbon buildup in the engine also would cause that but since the engine did it when it was new that should not be the cause. What do the plugs look like? They should have a light tan deposit on them after 20K miles or so.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I bought my front O2 sensor from Hyundai because they were a few dollars cheaper than at the parts stores. It came to somewhere around a hundred bucks for the sensor ($108.XX it seems like after tax). It may be a different sensor than yours though.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'll let you know on that after market o2 sensor thing. I have the 421 header and the cat back evofusion exhaust. I just got the high flow cat in like 3 days ago, all that's left is the o2 sensors and some o2 bungs. I'll probably get the sensors off ebay. As far as I can tell the aftermarket sensors have 4 wires that you have to connect to your o2 wire harness.
haha I said bung:D

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
AccentAE86 said:
I'm inclined to run an aftermarket sensor because since week 1 when I bought it new I've been putting 91+ octane into the car because it fricken pings like a madman, so I'm not convinced the hyundai ones are top notch.
You should not be using Premium (i.e. 91+). The car was made to run on Regular Unleaded (87). If the car is pinging on Regular, then it's time to bring it into the dealer. That's what a warranty is for.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
attist178 said:
You should not be using Premium (i.e. 91+). The car was made to run on Regular Unleaded (87). If the car is pinging on Regular, then it's time to bring it into the dealer. That's what a warranty is for.
I asked them many times and they said nothing is wrong. I even asked here years ago and people told me that hyundai tunes their a/f to be on the lean side, which may cause pinging. I even hear it the odd time going up hills at part throttle with 91 octane.

anyhoo, that's a different story for a different thread. Just wanna know if anyone is using a non-hyundai O2 sensor with no problems!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Also have a bosch sensor in the 2nd bung (after flex pipe) and it worked fine, plugged right in also, not one of those universial ones.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AWESOME! I think I will go Bosch. Any know if NTK makes 'em for the accent?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts