Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a few year ago there were problem associated with using the light weight crank pulley. I recall they were throwing the crank off balance and trashing the bearing.

Has this problem been fixed or do I still need to stay away from them?

They would be going on a beta2.

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
::Knock on wood::

70k+ miles on an Unorthodox UDP and no bearing problems yet. It does take away some dampening, but... we rev to what, 6750? Not trying to turn 10k like our honda friends. That might be why most hyundai guys don't see many problems out of them. We don't need the idiotic revs to make power.

Also, I saw a noticeable gain in gas mileage after that mod. Always a good thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool,

That was the whole reason I didn't put them on back in Houston and I read it on this forum.

I think that will be my next purchase.

Hey is there such a thing as a manual rack and pinion for a tiburon?

I prefer manual over power and would like to change it out plus lose the weight of the pump.

Nick

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've been driving on one for 50k+ miles and I didn't see any problems.
I don't think a light weight pulley for the p/s would do very much.
most moders just take off the power leaching units in the engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I know it probably weighs around a pound but I like the feeling of manuals steering over power.

I just haven't tried taking off the belt to see how it feels. On my old 280zx I took off the belt and it felt good.

But I remember the first car I had one of the tubes blew on the rack and It was like trying to turn a brick wall.

What do you do about the hoses if you remove the pump, can you take them off and cap the connections on the rack?

Nick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it doesn't look like unorthodox doesn't make pulleys for tib's anymore.

Has anyone tried the ones from Kspec?

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
there not for the accent.... nvm. you have a tib. i reccomend you wait a month or two. some one is working on the nick baur(sp) pulley.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I must be getting old, what does nick baur(sp) pulley mean, Mikey?

Nick

·
Registered
5 Posts
A lightened pulley if made correctly should not give you any issues. Where the issues arise is in undersized pulleys.

A) The bearing failure is a result of the belt pulling on the crank to tightly causing premature wear. (This IS why all our Honda friends who use serious engine setups use stock crank pulleys.... I.E. Lisa Kubo 9.28 1/4 mile in an eg6 h/b boosted 1.8DOHC, Kenny tran, Stephen Papdakis, Bizimoto.. ect)

B) the flip side is if you plan on running any extensive Audio systems in your cars, i dont suggest pushing beyond 225-250W system. And i mean unregulated Power supply amps like old style Kicker/Phoenix gold/Xtant/Eclipse/ ect ect...

otherwise a lightened pulley should net you anywhere between 5-9 hp depending on engine. And im stating that at the fly not the wheels. At the wheels is possibly a 2-3 hp gain possibly but the smoother top end is where you notice it the most.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts