Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where can I find HID head lights for my 05 accent 2dr? is it possible to get white blinkers for my car?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have probably said this a hundred times, it is impossible to switch to HID lights on any car unless there is a specific kit that is available that includes the whole headlight assembly. Or you get one off another car that comes with standard HID lights. You cannot use your original headlight assembly (the lens) with HID bulbs as they just do not work. The following link will explain everything (and more) that you need to know about HID lights.

http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

If you have any other questions about this feel free to ask. But please read the information in the link it is very useful for all of your lighting needs.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Ummm you can always retrofit...they may not perform as well as they would on a car with an hid ready lens..but they will work...I would know...I've done it...twice

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Yes you can convert to HID but you will lose your high beam.

The guy in the link above only half knows what he's talking about. He had some valid points but he was obviously biased against it from the beginning and left out a lot of the benefits from conversions. For low beam you will have better visibility 90% of the time after a HID conversion, as the reflector design is much more forgiving and tolerant of different light sources. I have to agree with high beams halogen is better in an OE halogen socket 90% of the time, despite what you think you can see.

·
Registered
270 Posts
[body]The guy in the link above only half knows what he's talking about.[/body]
Doesn't know what he's talking about? The guy is an expert in automotive lighting!! Yes if you want to go with HID you can try fitting a set from another car, you just have to find a way of making sure they are aimed properly. Or create your own out of approved HID lights. The Focus and the WRX for example have HID kits available that include the lens, balasts etc. A full Kit. You cannot put a HID bulb into a regular halogen lens. Yeah it will produce light but that's not the important part. The important part is how the light is focused. If it is scattered around like a floodlight or the focused beam is way up in the trees then it doesn't do you any good now does it. The physics behind the two styles of lights are completely different there is no comparison (or compatablility). The HID lights used by the auto manufactures are a completely different design of lens from ours. If you don't believe me about the importance of light aiming then find a vehicle with the old style sealed beams, drive around and look at where the light is and note it's performance. Then go and buy a set of sealed beam H4 conversion lights (E-Code light style) and install them. I had a set on my old Suburban and the difference was as apparent as it is now turning on my rally lights. For that matter compare the difference between a fog light and a driving light its the same difference. Trust me you will notice a HUGE difference. Why? because the light is designed to put the light on the road not everywhere infront of the car like DOT lights. Face it the europeans know how to make headlights, the American DOT flood-light style lights are garbage. The best thing you can do for headlights for the accent is to buy a set of stock headlights off a European Accent. Come to think of it that wouldn't work either as the lights in most countries would be reversed because they drive on the other side of the road DAMN!! I was seriously thinking about doing it myself.

[Edited by da_moose on Nov 1, 2005 4:59 PM]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so according to da_moose the best way to go is xenon bulb's?

·
Registered
163 Posts
for the white blinkers just DIY clear corners and swap out the stock orange bulbs for clear ones..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where do you get clear ones? I havent found any

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just stick to regular bulbs. If you really want good lighting then invest in a set of good driving lights and use them in conjunction with your highbeams. You don't have to get competition rally lights like I did but a good set of Hella FF50's or FF75's will do fine and you can mount them however you want.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I'm gonna get some fog lights on my car for the mean time and I'm planning on mounting them where the 05 accent gt's fog lights are mounted. I went to the dealer today and ordered the gt fog light switch(so it wouldn't look ghetto rigged and out of place) but it looks like I'm gonna have to cut out the round vent filler things that fill in the round holes the gt's fog lights are mounted in, doesnt seem to me that they pop out i think their part of the bumper cover(whatev it'll be fun) but do you guys think that I could wire them directly up to switch I ordered?

[Edited by mogo on Nov 3, 2005 2:23 PM]

·
Registered
453 Posts
I noticed a HUGE difference with PIAA superwhite platinums, they are very bright, and are a direct fit, a pit privey(65$) but woth the money compared to $40 for siverstars, which suck... and yes, I read the artice about the bulbs and I'm comparing apples to apples here, siverstars and cool blue sylvania bulbs suck, and PIAA bulbs kick ass... and they also have no color tinting on the glass of the bulb...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Originally posted by mogo
[body]
Ok I'm gonna get some fog lights on my car for the mean time and I'm planning on mounting them where the 05 accent gt's fog lights are mounted. I went to the dealer today and ordered the gt fog light switch(so it wouldn't look ghetto rigged and out of place) but it looks like I'm gonna have to cut out the round vent filler things that fill in the round holes the gt's fog lights are mounted in, doesnt seem to me that they pop out i think their part of the bumper cover(whatev it'll be fun) but do you guys think that I could wire them directly up to switch I ordered?

[Edited by mogo on Nov 3, 2005 2:23 PM]
[/body]
that's pretty much what i'm planning to do, though i'm gonna go to the dealer and see how much they would charge me to take off my stock GL bumper and put a GT bumper on...'cause my dad probably wouldn't like me takin' the Dremel to my bumper...hehe..:dead:.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'll save the pennies....but let me know how much it cost ya...good luck

·
Registered
427 Posts
For my 99 GSi, I got tired of not getting enough light and picked up a set of 80/100 low/high ... quite a difference, then I also added some ... ummm ... driving lights:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nokya 100/120 watt headlights work great. $20 for a pair, 7000k Xenon lighting. I rarely ever have to use my high beams.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I never noticed a difference between the $65 coated bulbs from PIAA and the $30 coated bulbs from autozone, they all suck. The best headlights I've bought off the shelf were from Walmart, the GE bulbs in the silver and black packaging.

They sell "e-code" lights in all of Europe, not just the UK which is the only country that would drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Originally posted by da_moose
[body]
[body]The guy in the link above only half knows what he's talking about.[/body]
Doesn't know what he's talking about? The guy is an expert in automotive lighting!! Yes if you want to go with HID you can try fitting a set from another car, you just have to find a way of making sure they are aimed properly. Or create your own out of approved HID lights. The Focus and the WRX for example have HID kits available that include the lens, balasts etc. A full Kit. You cannot put a HID bulb into a regular halogen lens. Yeah it will produce light but that's not the important part. The important part is how the light is focused. If it is scattered around like a floodlight or the focused beam is way up in the trees then it doesn't do you any good now does it. The physics behind the two styles of lights are completely different there is no comparison (or compatablility). The HID lights used by the auto manufactures are a completely different design of lens from ours. If you don't believe me about the importance of light aiming then find a vehicle with the old style sealed beams, drive around and look at where the light is and note it's performance. Then go and buy a set of sealed beam H4 conversion lights (E-Code light style) and install them. I had a set on my old Suburban and the difference was as apparent as it is now turning on my rally lights. For that matter compare the difference between a fog light and a driving light its the same difference. Trust me you will notice a HUGE difference. Why? because the light is designed to put the light on the road not everywhere infront of the car like DOT lights. Face it the europeans know how to make headlights, the American DOT flood-light style lights are garbage. The best thing you can do for headlights for the accent is to buy a set of stock headlights off a European Accent. Come to think of it that wouldn't work either as the lights in most countries would be reversed because they drive on the other side of the road DAMN!! I was seriously thinking about doing it myself.
[/body]
Read the rest of what I said. I gave the reasons why they work okay in standard low beam housings. It's not as good as a HID designed system, but it's usually better than stock because it makes up for any inefficiencies in extra brightness. They will usually suck for high beams though because the focusing is much more important. I have seen many bulb conversions that are excellent, and a couple that were better stock. The guy is biased, you can tell he never even gave it a chance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts