Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Money is the object. I am faced with making a decision between buying a short shifter and strut brace and muffler vs. a high quality catback system. My performance shop wants $500 to do the job, with that kind of money I could probably get all of the other stuff.

My question is: Is the catback worth the $500?

I am of course looking to improve performance and mileage, I just installed the AEM intake and feel it was worth every penny. Would it be just as good to go with an upgraded muffler or is the entire system worth the big price tag?

Thanks for your input,
Mikey

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well... a good rule of thumb is handling first then speed.
I feel that there is probably a small increase of power with a catback exhaust but I also think that if you're going to do something, might as well do it right. Meaning that if you're gonna buy exhaust, due the whole thing header, high flow cat and larger piping. looking at about $900 for the whole thing. I'm sure you could do it cheaper but end up witha crappy setup.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with the do it right creed, but a header is not in the stars for me just yet.

I didn't mention in the original post, noise is a big no-no for me. I want the sound to be low at idle and low rpm. I get along with my neighbors (I live on a very quiet and private lane) and there is a constant police presence on my main route in and out of my neighborhood. Between my tint, and the exhaust I'd be pulled over every day, it's just what they do here.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Anyone do the cat back that can share their experience as far as before and after?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Wow 500 for them to make a catback, I would try other places first. But I agree that you should do suspensions first, that's the only way to do it. With 500 you can get some good suspension mods. I think a good catback can be made for about 200, or you can just buy them used from members here who are selling them.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
yeah what ravin said...also don't waste your money on any "CAN" mufflers. They will always be too loud and look obnoxious. go for a small chambered muffler and a 25-30" resonator. You'll get that low "sporty" sound quite at low rpms and real smooth roar when you punch it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Mikey

·
Registered
653 Posts
No, Youre not going to get a "high quality" catback system from any performance shop. Because most likely they will be just using mild steel, and crush bending. No way would they have stainless steel, PLUS a machine that can do mandrel bending...ive yet to see a regular shop have that kind of equipment. So any custom exhaust would be inferior to a production one that is full stainless, plus the mandrel bending.

Id only pay 500 for a custom exhaust if all the production ones happened to be 800 dollars or more.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found an exhaust shop up the road from me who will hang whatever I bring in for $200 (2.25 ss).

I'm doing some soul searching and have it narrowed down to two options:

1. Flowmaster 60 series muffler (chambered)

2. Magnaflow 4" round straight through followed by a 5X8 straight through

I went to the Canadian dealer site and have a photo of their performance muffler and pipe. What I am concerned about is the tailpipe. I really don't want to notch the bumper myself or trust anyone other than a body shop to do it for me. I am going to ask the exhaust shop how difficult it will be to recreate the bends that are in the pic for the tips to come out from underneath the bumper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
With whatever you decide to do. Here is a way to save some money.

Go to the shop that you want to have it done at. When they tell you the price, tell them that another local shop told you that they would do it for $20-$40 cheaper (pick a price, but don't go too high, or they'll know your lying). Tell them you have heard from others that they do great work and you would like to have it done there (the place that you want it done at).
They will probably be willing to give you a discount if you sound honest.
Unless you have SERIOUS mods, there's no point in getting a HUGE 4" tip though.

-Nick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4" tip?? No way, the 4' round muffler is to be used as a resonator, I was thinking a single 2.25" out from the 5X8 into a twin 3" tip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts