Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this carb, choke, and throttle body cleaner and thought it be easy... yea I'm a fool.
Anyways can anyone tell me on a 1.5L 2001 Accent where is the air duct, throttle body, and throttle plate??

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
find your air filter. Follow the hose back towards the firewall. The first thing metal you see is the throttle body. It will have something on the backside you can push down on that moves and has a cable attached to it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for response, but I'm a rookie at this... where is the firewall? where on the engine is ity located? pics would be a bonus...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Firewall... Big metal "wall" between the engine bay and the inside of the car... Can't miss it. ;):

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:duh:
Having trouble finding the throttle body, is it under the engine, on top, in the middle?
In other words can use this cleaner looking over the engine or do I need to go underneath? the air duct is a hose right?
If yall could tell me this I'll be a happy rider:rambo:

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Originally posted by accentrider01
[body]
:duh:
Having trouble finding the throttle body, is it under the engine, on top, in the middle?
In other words can use this cleaner looking over the engine or do I need to go underneath? the air duct is a hose right?
If yall could tell me this I'll be a happy rider:rambo:
[/body]
If you open the hood and look in at your engine towards the back you will see a fairly long item that looks a little like a metal bottle. On the right side there will be a doohickie (throttle body) that has some pulleys, a big black tube going to your air filter, and a cable running to it hooked to your gas pedal. The hose hooked to the throttle body is the air hose. In order to use the cleaner to clean your throttle body you will have to take the air hose off of it using a screwdriver to loosen the clamp. After the hose is off you can look inside and see a shiny metal disk that is blocking the throttle body almost completely. This is the throttle plate they were referring to. If none of this makes sense and all you see is your air hose running up under a huge black plastic thing then you have an engine cover you need to take off to see what I'm talking about.

To clean the throttle body you need to disconnect the air hose and twist the pulley assembly on the side of the throttle body to open the throttle plate and spray it in at anything that looks dirty. You should not have your car running during any of this because your engine may suck in dirt and be damaged if it was running without the air filter connected.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks 187sks I found it!! I guess the mechanic did his job and actually did it (screwed up the timing belt and has to go all the way in there again).
Is this throttle cleaning the cleaning that emits black exhaust through the muffler or is that another procedure?
Thanks again!!;):

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I think you're thinking of the Seafoam top engine cleaner. That's a different process, and emits huge billowing white clouds behind you. Throttle body cleaner can emit some white smoke when you first start it up though after cleaning it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts