Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 Hyundai Accent GS, I have the nice loud muffler on it. Yesterday my check engine light came on(I have not idea why seemed to run ok) So I was planning to work on it on Saturday and replace the plugs, air filter, run fuel injector cleaner, and change the oil. And now since yesterday I need to do the front brakes too. So anyway driving home tonight all of a sudden the car is normally at about 2k rpms to do 65 mph now it was at about 3500 rpms and there was a noise that sounded like an exhaust leak. Once I got home I checked it doesn't seem to be coming from the exhaust more of the engine area. The exhaust manifold doesn't seem to be leaking from what I can tell, but the motor itself is running very loud, soundling like a normal hole in the exhaust sound. So my questions are does anyone have any idea what is wrong? Do you think I can chance driving it to school tomorrow and to an advanced auto to check the check engine light, and to the DMV to get new tags for my other car(About 40 miles)?

·
Registered
860 Posts
It definately sounds like an exhaust leak to me...I have the somewhat loud exhaust to and I have had atleast six exhaust leaks the first several actually did set off my check engine light cause it was messing my O2 sensor up! The last exhaust leak was pretty loud and it actually was coming from where the header and the exhaust connect (the downpipe???) not sure exactly what its called, but the reason why it started was because two of the three bolts had no nuts and the third the nut was coming loose so I had a friend double nut it and tighten it back on an I havent had a problem since!

It does sound like an exhaust leak so if you do drive it make sure you have the windows rolled down a little bit or atleast have the air turned off inside the car! Can you smell exhaust fumes either when its idling or if your driving??

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok the check engine light is cause of "slow response on bank 1 O2 sensor" I bought a new sensor will try and put the car in the air this weekend and look for leaks it might be from where you are talking. I hope it is something that easy. I don't smell fumes when it is ideling and don't see smke rolling out and all our exhausts are doing that since it was fairly cold last night. I will look at it more and post once I figure things out if I figure them out. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
860 Posts
That might explain the check engine light, I was concerned bout that cause the last time I had an exhaust leak up by the header it wasn't effecting the
O2 sensor so if the new sensor fixes that problem it still might be a leak up there!

·
Registered
737 Posts
you probably have an exhaust leak coming from your stock flex pipe which is right after the catylitic converter but before you second oxygen sensor.

I just had to replace mine in the past year. This will cause a slow response 02 code or a cat efficiency code (p0420). More than likely if you fix the leak your 02 code will go away.

Cheapest way to fix a flex pipe is to go to your local muffler shop and get one pieced in. A direct replacement will be more expensive and you will have to try to get old rusty bolts out(never fun) as well as new gaskets.

If you have access to a lift or jack stands that lift the car high enough to slide under with ease, light a match and run it along the exhaust with the engine running. If the match blows out at a certain place then you have your leak. Another way of finding your leak is to back up the exhaust at the muffler with a handful of rags while someone else is under the car feeling for exhaust coming out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts