Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently started hearing a loud slapping noise coming from the drivers side of my engine compartment, I initially thought it was a belt about to snap, but being that all the belts are on the passenger side, it didn't make sense. So I started thinking that the internals of the engine are dying. Then started realizing that it was consistent with the RPM's, only happens when accelerating, but doesn't happen all of the time. It's a 2001 Hyundai Accent GL. 100,400 miles on the whole car, engine was replaced about 30-40k miles ago. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Without hearing it it sounds like piston slap...

Piston slap is nothing new to piston driven internal combustion engines and compressors. It is the secondary (sideways or perpendicular) movement of a piston against the side of a cylinder bore where the primary movement of a piston is intended to be parallel (up and down) to the cylinder bore. All piston driven internal combustion engines and compressors have a certain amount of piston slap.

Excessive piston slap occurs when the clearance between the piston and the cylinder bore is too great. The piston to cylinder bore clearance becomes too great either through wear, mismatched pistons and cylinder bores at manufacturing or, a combination of both. The audible noise associated with excessive piston slap is due to the perpendicular impact of the piston against the wall of the cylinder bore. Audible piston slap is typically loudest when the engine is first started up. The pistons then expand with heat reducing the piston to cylinder bore clearance thus, reducing the perpendicular impact of the piston against the cylinder wall and its resulting noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it might be piston slap, but I wasn't to sure about that, being that it doesn't make the sound when starting up, only when accelerating. But, it doesn't happen all of the time. usually I find that it's when I'm over 30mph, I think anyway.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Checked your hubcaps??
What about loose trim panels??
Loose body panels??

Always start with the easy options first...
they are generally the cheapest to fix...

Or does it slap when ideling?
Maybe your HLAs are gunked up...
When i let my car sit for a week or 2 it will be rough and slap a bit, but when the oil presure pumps the oil where it needs to go it goes away....

It could also be a motor mount...
Or a tranny mount...

Cheers
scythe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts