Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever thought of /tried a lower front strut brace?

From the looks of the underside of the car it appears that it would be benificial.

Any comments are great I was thinking about building one to compliment the upper brace.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No not the sway bar, It is called a "Lower Strut Brace". Type it into google's image search engine. It physicaly connects the front portion of the left and right lower control arms. Some braces are also then connected to the front frame rail of the car.

·
Registered
453 Posts
sounds like your trying to make an understeering dog.:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here

I put one on my old metro. Made about as much difference as adding the upper brace.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't see how it would work with our cars and a MacPherson strut setup. The strut body is constantly twisting and moving up and down. The strut tower brace works because it's attached to the top mounting screws, which are immobile.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think that a lower strut brace would only be significant for drag racing.

·
Registered
715 Posts
sciphi said:
I don't see how it would work with our cars and a MacPherson strut setup. The strut body is constantly twisting and moving up and down. The strut tower brace works because it's attached to the top mounting screws, which are immobile.
It doesn't actually attach to the struts it actually connects at the same points that the control arms do. It definetly stiffens the front frame which does increase understeering. Definetly nice for drag setups. With a bar like the one in the picture it would be a nice girdle that could protect the oil pan and other things under there...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The main purpose of the lower brace is the same as the upper brace; to increase the rigidity of the suspension system.

The front part of the lower control arm is not all that solid, Its bolted to the unibody (notorious for flexing under strain i.e. when turning hard,or pulling a heavy load). It can also help with wheel hop (thats why they are popular with the drag racing folk). I think that I'll fab one and see how much of an improvement I get.

*edit* NO LOAD - FULL LOAD (wheels off ground to wheels on ground) 1/2" flex or stretch of the total distace between the front control arm bolts. Thats not even concidering what happens in a hard corner. You autocross folks should look into this:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts