Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally ditched that ugly maf. This thing causes much trouble. My old engine 1.3 sohc was designed to run a maf sensor, when I changed it for 1.5 SOHC it had a map sensor at the intake manifold, so I cut the wires from the maf sensor and with a little help from hmaservice.com I connected them to the map. Result? No cel, perfect idling for about 20 mins. After that the cel came on as expected, but nothing wrong with the car. The car runs fantastic. Better throttle response, better low end and middle. I finally made my SRI usefull. Try it for yourselves. Nothing to be compared. It's time for you to ditch the maf

·
Registered
842 Posts
umm... there has to be more to it that that... no? is the MAP a 1 bar or 1.5 bar?
what's the CEL for, can you get it diagnosed?

this info will sort of help me out in this situation:
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=72531

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before the map swap I had a cel p0106 which is map sensor failure but hey.. I didn't have a map then! So the problem was the maf. I ditched of the maf and put the cables right in the map. The cel still on still p0106 as expected to be but the car runs great. No bog off no nothing. Smooth acceleration and sweet ride. Weird ha? The map is stock don't know pressure of it. The maf has 5 cables the map has 4. The one is a 10A fuse which I didn't connected. The others were exactly the same from the ecu.
MAP has:
1=37 ecu pin (MAP signal)
2=33 ecu pin (Sensor power)
3=42 ecu pin (IAT signal)
4=36 ecu pin (Sensor ground)

MAF has:
1=37 ecu pin (MAF/AFS signal)
2=33 ecu pin (Sensor power)
3=36 ecu pin (Sensor ground)
4=fuse 10A in Engine compartment relay and fuse box (I didn't connect this)
5=42 ecu pin (IAT signal)

So, as you can see the only difference is between maf 3 and map 4 pins which I easily swapped them. probably the pin #4 at maf's harness is a voltage signal which is used only at maf sensor because map don't need it. I assume it's a + from the ignition switch. That's about it.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I would assume the voltage levels vary between map and maf. This is strange :puzzled:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both of the sensor use 5v. It worked for me, but I really want that maf of yours shawn :)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I just checked the maf sensor for you while i was installing the fmic. You have the lc maf which is a 5pin and mine is a 4pin. I tried to him thasilva install it on his lc and he never had any luck, sorry.

·
Registered
842 Posts
yea, the GM 3bar MAP sensor i have only have 3 wires... 5v signal and ground. my MAF has only three i believe as well. my IAT sensor is seperate. I have a 5 wire SCoupe MAF laying around as well and i believe that is 2.5" . i was thinking of hooking the MAP sensor up to my SAFC and monitoring voltages (i would just have to keep in mind that on my MAF sensor now i use about a 24% decrease for the 310cc injectors) soon as i get's a little warmer out i'll let you know...

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
This might just help you out :
http://www.2gnt.com/www/corbin/foolafc.html

·
Registered
842 Posts
i've heard of that from a similar DSM forum, using a MAP sensor to tune instead of a TPS. it makes a lot of sensor to tune based on air flow. you want to modify the air flow according to the air flow. (thats my gripe w/ AFC or similar devices) for instance if the AFC allowed to you say "when MAF = 25% air send MAF = 30% air to ECU for more fuel" but instead it uses TPS which can be inaccurate w/ a turbo car in such situations as going uphill, flooring it in second gear roll @4500rpm, say, instead of right off the line, etc.

if you think about it though, you could use the MAF as the TPS... so tune MAF based on MAF (which is what i was describing above). both are 5 volt sources. RPM becomes a useless variable.

can you tell i've thought about this a little too much? it probably makes no sense what so ever to anybody except myself.

[Edited by X3Jason on Mar 6, 2006 5:14 AM]

·
Registered
842 Posts
bump... any more info?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Originally posted by rbuecker
[body]
Originally posted by omgbossis21
[body]
This might just help you out :
http://www.2gnt.com/www/corbin/foolafc.html
[/body]
hey i like that idea. hella cheaper than an emanage setup too
[/body]
it is a good thing but emanage setup can do a lot more, do any of you know it this idea works on na motor to ???

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is N/A for now. It worked for me :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts