Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend bought a Spoon Magnetic Oil Plug for his RSX. I thought it seemed like a good little contraption, so I tried to find one for my '05 Elantra. Never found one from Spoon, but can someone let me know if this one will work from E-Bay. If not, what model cars are similiar in size of the oil plug of an '05 Elantra?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYUNDAI-TIBURON-ACCENT-MAGNETIC-ENGINE-OIL-DRAIN-PLUG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38657QQitemZ8011194832QQrdZ1

·
Registered
284 Posts
^^^ He's right, unless you plan on not changing your oil when you are supposed to :)ermm:) its not a big deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very good points. Actually, extremely good points. Thanks guys. I love this forum! It helps me save money by not buying useless things! :D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It's not a bad idea, they will be attracted to the plug instead of getting stuck in the pan and not draining. Look at like Pep Boys or some other auto parts store, might be a lot cheaper. But really there shouldn't be any metal chunks flying around in your engine, transmission's a different story, though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Huh. I could have sworn I had a magnetic end to mine, on the stock OEM ones. o_O Same with the transmission. They're small bits on the end, admitedly, but still. I'll have to double check tomorow when i change oils. o_O

·
Registered
30 Posts
Magnetic oil drain plugs are a very good idea, but not good enough to spend $40.00 on a Spoon Sports one. Besides, Spoon is for Honda.

I'd say just go to AutoZone... many times, AutoZone will offer a magnetic drain plug for only about two or three dollars for many cars.

You shouldn't have metal flakes swimming around through your motor, but, if for some reason worst came to worse, wouldn't you much rather have them pulled towards the bottom of the oil pan instead of being pulled into the pickup?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
yeah the above comments weren't really useful at all unless you simply dont care about maintaining your vehicle. Kinda like "Whats that weird noise in the engine? F-it turn up the stereo!"

If you are worried about metal, such as if you've gone turbo or done any extensive work, you'd damn sure want to know if you have metal flakes. This forum is for enthusiasts, not just daily driving hyundai people, the more you mod the better for all of us. We learn as we go as one big ass group, so dont put a damper on anyone buying upgraded parts. I agree a 40.00 drain plug is kinda accessive, but c'mon, if all we used the cars for was to buy groceries and to haul the kids back and forth to school, THEN maybe flakes on the drain plug would be no big deal if you just changed oil on time. MY .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts