Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Guys, I have been trying to Tune up my engine before doing real mods and I need some direction and mentoring....1996 HYUNDAI ACCENT L 1.5L 1495cc L4 MFI (N)...I guess you call it an X3, with a lil over 86,000 miles on the engine, and rebuilt tranny, oh and she is automatic. I have a shortram, but I need to try to get the air intake sensor connected.

It has been overheating and I am unsure as to why, but my engine cooling fan does not come on, I got one on the way.

1. When do you tune-up your engine?
2. What exactly can I do to my engine to increase the torque and airflow?
3. Can I do a turbo for my X3?

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Okay Guys, I have been trying to Tune up my engine before doing real mods and I need some direction and mentoring....1996 HYUNDAI ACCENT L 1.5L 1495cc L4 MFI (N)...I guess you call it an X3, with a lil over 86,000 miles on the engine, and rebuilt tranny, oh and she is automatic. I have a shortram, but I need to try to get the air intake sensor connected.

It has been overheating and I am unsure as to why, but my engine cooling fan does not come on, I got one on the way.

Right. First off, welcome! Now lets get down to your car.

Solve the thermofan issue before going any further; you might want to have a look at the water temp sensor as well as the thermosensor(if your car is equipped with one) Flushing out the radiator and cooling system also helps with this particular system. As for your questions:

Generally, you do a normal maintainence "tune-up" every 10,000km's with oil services every 5,000(depending on the oil used and the manufacturer recommendations. A synthetic oil lasts approximately 10,000km's while a mineral oil goes for about 5,000km's) At 86,000 miles you will need to get your timing belt and water pump done as well as the tune-up, together with a comprehensive brake inspection.

Begin with the basics; let us know how your budget looks first of all and we can go from there. It's the most practical way forward.

These days, you can turbocharge anything from a Cino to a Hayabusa. A turbo for an X3 isn't much of an issue, provided that it is done properly and professionally. If you aren't used to working with these systems, you'll need to fork over the money to someone who does. Everyone claims to know(after all, turbocharging is a big thing these days) but I've seen "experienced" mechanics and "well-reputed" shops blow customer engines up quite frequently. Choose your workman well if you want quality(who doesn't?)

If you feel a bit weird about a work sample(you'll no doubt ask to see an example of the work a particular mechanic/shop does, and they should either show you pictures of previous customers or show you the demo car if its a performance-oriented place) then turn around. Gut feelings in this case are usually correct.

However, I would not advise turbocharging as yet; this is an expensive and lengthy task.

if I were you I'd go Beta swap with a turbo kit rather then muck about. This is THE biggest gain you can make, but its an expensive one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch Mechanix, really appreciate the quick reply....
Okay, I got the fan and installed it, I allowed the car to run for 30 mins and there was no sign of overheating, it usually goes to overheat within this time frame. Even took here for a run and still no signs of overheating....I will still take your advice with the water temp sensor and look into the thermosensor.

I have changed the timing belt and water pump recently and just did a tune-up of wires, plugs, oil/filter change...have a new thermostat and gasket, but see no need to change at the moment.....planning on flushing the radiator and cooling system in a few days. Did the brakes but feeling abit mushy, so will have them looked at.

As for my Budget, most of it went into my transmission rebuild with Aamco, will never deal with these guys again, think I was badly beat out of money, $2,908.....and then a few other items had to be replaced and it still looks like I had not bought a thing......I REALLY NEED TO GET A LIST GOING SO THAT I CAN PIN POINT WHAT IS THE BEST ROAD TO FOLLOW, LIKE YOU SAID
I guess my budget is going to be my earnings from work, taxes are zapped out. After bills, a few hundred a month.....

Mechanix you really set me straight on things and I really appreciate the time and information, Thanks alot

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
3K USD for a transmission rebuild?! :eek: What was the job anyway, that kind of money's usually associated with getting a high-stall convertor into the thing.

Damn!

But anyhow, please do get your list going. A good way to start out is to really think about what you want to do with the car and what you want it to do for you(this will let you know what you can and can't do.) For example, are you after an awesome street car that's 100% road-legal, or a weekend track car that's also road legal? Do you want it to be perfectly civilized, or are you willing to live with a bit of bad behaviour(ie. lumpy idle, exhaust vibrations, engine vibrations etc) All these scenario's represent very different modification pathways.

I'd advise taking your time to decide and not rush it. Too many people have gotten into modification too quickly and paid the price for it(ie. not understanding that shops will try and sell you what you don't need) This is also a great time for you to check out your State and country's legal standpoint on modified cars; these regulations should be available online.

All of the above will give you your framework, or rather it'll let you know how far you can push things while still operating within the law and the envelope of your personal tolerance. After all, if you're going to modify your car then you should enjoy every moment of driving it as well!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MechaniX_034, thanx 4 all of your help man........

I was having some power issues with my x3, I mean, it would not accelerate for anything. Easing on the pedal, or mashing it, I still got the same result....NOTHING but alot of horn honking, lol.

Yo MechaniX, I had the Cat replaced, and she drives like I just pulled her off the showroom floor, literally. I'm loving my lil badass x3 seriously now.....I still have a ways to go but just wanted to say thanx man for the direction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts