Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Car is a 2001 Accent GS with the SOHC 1.5L. I've been noticing some declining performance (very subjective term here) from my Accent. It all started happening a few weeks ago - when going highway speed the engine just felt gutless (I have a 1999 GSi as well) - just complete lack of performance as well as some knocking when the engine was lagging at lower RPMs. Today my wife was driving the car and she popped a CEL and the car felt even more gutless - wouldn't rev beyond 3500 RPM and when it got up around that engine speed the engine would run rough and the CEL would flash. I took the car out for a spin tonight and there is a complete lack of power - car is knocking at pretty much any engine speed - won't rev, won't accelerate and everytime I shift it sounds like a blow-off valve is releasing.

I'm thinking the timing belt has slipped or the fuel filter is clogged or the fuel pump is on its way out... Has anyone experienced similar problems? Is there something obvious that you Accent guys know of that I'm missing? Please help! I'd rather fix this myself than pay someone else to do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like a fuel related problem. Something would have to go really bad to shift the timing belt like that.

I would bet that the CEL is probally related to a misfire from poor fueling. You can get an OBDII reader (buy or borrow) from most auto parts stores.

I do know what you are seeing as I had the same problem when I ressurected my 97 Accent last month.

My car had sat for 5 years and the tank had developed rust which clogged the fuel pump filter (there is a small bag style before the pump) as well as blocked the baffle that the pump sits in. Anything over 3K rpm and the motor popped, sputtered.

I eventually swapped gas tanks and fuel pumps with my parts car to fix the problem.

For your problem, I would first try to replace any fuel filters (that is the cheapest method). Then if that does not work check the fuel pump. Im not sure on the 01 accents, but on the 96-99 Accents the fuel pump is accessed from the rear seat area. Lift the seat, pop the small black cover, and there are about 8 phillips head screws that hold the pump to the tank. There are also a few hose clamps that attach the fuel lines to the pump as well as a plug that supplies the power.

Let us now how it works out.

Dean

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had the codes pulled by Parts Source (I'm on a first name with them lately... LOL). It ended up being a P0301 which is cylinder 1 misfire. Which, unfortunately doesn't tell us much, it could be ignition related (but I doubt it - you wouldn't get knocking from ignition related problems) and the plugs look fine (I just replaced them). Wires are fine too - they're less than a year old.

I'm beginning to think you're right about the fueling issue - I'm going to replace the fuel filter later on today and see what that does for it and go from there.

·
Registered
332 Posts
another thing if changing the filters does not work clear DTC's, swap the number 1 and number 2 fuel injectors drive around a little bit when the MIL comes back on check the DTC's, if the code changed to P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire then you have a plugged injector if it still says P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire than it is a bad wire, plug, faulty coil pack, or could be internal engine

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well guys, solved the issue:

Both coil packs were fried. New ones are going in tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... I'm back to square one - the coilpacks were fried (they were arcing like mad) I replaced them but the problem didn't go away. It's still running like a bag of ****. I have no idea where to go next.

·
Registered
43 Posts
check your spark plugs and wired i had a similar problem after i washed my engine...but it could be your plugs and/or wires

·
Registered
1 Posts
Start

Hi! Got a very unlucky problem my car an Accent 2004 will start without any problem with cold engine but once the engine got hot say after driving some 30 kilometers it will stop completely and won't start and I have to wait that the engine got cold completely to start and drive back again. any clue for this any help will be mostly appreciated btw I have change the FUEL pump but still same.

Thanks and Regards
Oz

·
Registered
43 Posts
new doesnt really mean that its not the problem...just the other day i bought a cable for my stereo...didnt work so i had to get another one....i was just saying cuz your situation has happend to me... i changed my wires and fixed that

·
Registered
332 Posts
what brand wires and plugs did you use some people say that some cheap aftermarket wires are junk on hyundais and will make the engine misfire and run like sh^&

I have always used aftermarket performance wires and never had a problem like now i have msd superconductors that seem to work well with some denso iridium plugs

·
Registered
43 Posts
they were the cheap autozone brand... duralast i belive...dont know where to by the type of wires your speak of

·
Registered
332 Posts
you can go on ebay.com , pepboys.com , autozone.com , etc most parts stores including autozone can order the performance wires for you but i also heard that magnacore wires are even better

1 - 16 of 16 Posts