Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone tell me exactly what a mandrel bend is,, is it a certain bend used for bend exhaust pipe or is it just a normal bend ...????i am getting my custom exhaust done on monday and really need to know...

a broad accent:shocked:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I once heard a highway used as a metaphore for a mandrel bend.

A mandrel bend would be the same as a 4 lane highway. If you have a corner then the edges arent bent out of shape. A crinkle bend or press bend is where they press the bend in rather than stretching it. You get a crinkle in the inside of the corner which impedes airflow.

One thing you will notice is that anyone that makes or stocks press bent exhausts will tell you that you dont need mandrel bends but anyone that stocks or makes mandrel bent exhaust systems will tell you you do need them to see any great performance increase.

I would say stick with mandrel bends. They cost a bit more but you get a constant airflow with the same diameter tubing. It allows air to flow more freely.

--Aaron--

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
On a crush bent pipe, the pipe narrows around the bend causing a bottle neck in air flow. A mendrel bent pipe still narrows but no where near as much as a crush bend. Result = more free flowing exhaust.

Note: If you weld a bunch of mandrel bent piping together to create a custom exhaust, your air flow will be impeded at each welding point. Probably would still flow better than a crush bend though.

[Edited by 1SickGS on Sep 30, 2004 4:23 PM]

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts