Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While i realize the importance of good tuning, I also realize the lack of aftermarket support for Hyundais. I know that when I used to own hondas and you wanted a good ecu, you bought hondata or motec. Now this is different. I have no fu*$ing clue what works and neither do any of my gearhead buddies. I have had my underpowered 2000 Elantra for a year and a half and it is the most reliable thing I've owened. I've killed many hondas , nissans, chevys, fords, one subaru and a couple of toyotas all in about the same amount of time I've had this thing, but it's time for turbo.... I won't even think about forced induction before engine management is taken care of. I have heard good things about the megasquirt, but nothing too specific. I don't want piggyback, that is garbage, you are only fooling your stock computer. I could do that with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, and from personal experience that makes things go "BOOM". If there are any other relatively cost effective solutions out there please let me know. What information do I need to provide the company I buy my ecu from? Hall sensors, Crank pos. sensor, etc from someone who has bought one and found that it works. Also any info on forged rods, pistons, crank, etc would be greatly appreciated. And does anybody make good cams for turbo on the beta? Thank you in advance for any advice and help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Some info to help you if you get a MegaSQUIRT:
PWM idle
4cyl wasted spark
vr sensor with a 60-2 wheel on the crank
TDC = 18th tooth
I have some IAT and CLT info somewhere to calibrate the sensors. I ended up "piggybacking" mine it but it's not just fooling the stock ecu, it has full control of the ignition timing and fuel injectors. You actually break those connections from the stock ecu. You can get a kit that you build yourself as I did for under $200 or have it built for about $330. If I remember correctly on the harness I shared 7 wires with the stock ecu (IAT, CLT, O2, PWR, VR+, VR-, TPS), and broke 6 wires (coil 1-4, coil, 2-3, INJ-1, INJ-2, INJ-3, INJ-4). I have the injectors and coils hooked to 3 DPDT switches so that I can switch to the stock ecu at any time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you still running this set up? How long and how well did this work? Was it with the megasquirt or another set up? I get what you were saying, I think. essentially, you were using the stock ecu for idle, etc. But running "piggyback" for the injector and coil control. How was a/f and driveability?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes It's is still on. It's an MSII though I would recommend the MSI because it's cheaper and the MSII is doesn't like the stock vr Hyundai sensors very much. I had to mod the vr conditioning circuit to get it to work correctly. It can handle the Hyundai PWM idle valves just find I'm just not using that function. It can control cooling fans, shift lights, two step rev control, flat shift, etc... I've been running it for about 6 months now. The tunning is pretty easy, you fill out some info in the software and it gives you some baseline numbers to start with then you start to log some driving time. Pump that log into Megalogviewer and it will correct your tunning. It drives much better than the stock ecu.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts