Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Tiburon FX and when I bought it (used) it had about 113,000mi. on it and now it has 212,600mi. roughly! It still runs great even though I am getting a new stock engine very soon that has 70,000mi. on it! I was wondering if anyone out there has there tiburons at that high of mileage and what there thoughts were about it? I have read that Hyundais especially are very good with mileage and if properly taken care of can have up to 250,000-300,000 miles on them before even having a problem!:D

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool!! I know with maintanence and everything it will run for much longer...I put oil stabilizer in it and Im waiting til I go to the gas station again to put some fuel injector cleaner in it! But I cant wait til I get my new engine!!! Its like gonna be the best gift ever...EVER!!! It will be like my Christmas, Birthday, Valentines, Easter gift all rolled into one!!! LOL!!! Muahahaha!!!....

Sorry...I went a little crazy there!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oddly enough the only things I have had to drink is a can of sprite and two cups of caffeine free lemon tea with honey (for my sore throat):D I think I just got overly excited bout my car....I need to learn to contain myself!!:D

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
If you used Lucas Oil stabilizer get that junk out of your engine. It's really bad. It foams and fills your oil with air bubbles.

I can prove it if necessary. It works great in their little gear demonstration machine but very poorly in an engine.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you suggest I use????

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do use high mileage oil...I think I use castrol not sure but I have that lovely lil lifter tap starting!?!?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh...cuz whenever I have put it in my car it seems to help the problem! Should I still use it or no?? I murdered my car!:D

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
No. It's really bad for your engine. If it seemed to help then I don't know what to tell you. It might make it quieter but the rest of your bearings, etc are suffering from it.

I think the Beta1 (your engine) has HLA's. HLA's are very sensitive to air trapped in the oil because air can compress and oil cannot. If the oil pressurizing your HLA's is full of air bubbles they may not push out properly, or at least with the proper force.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Yes, the Beta I has non adjustable Hydrualic lifters. Mine are still going good.. and i was just thinking. Maybe (krystal) you can get new lifters and that will stop your lifter tick, and give you your full cam profile back, giving you that horsepower you seem to be loosing. Thats probally not even $100 bucks i would guess. And thats easy, ill help you install them if you wish.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What does that do?? I mean, at least Im getting a new engine soon, hopefully tomorrow! But what does it do than??

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Your camshaft pushes the lifters to open the values. Hydraulic lifters are 'soft' untill oil gets inside them to 'lift' them up to full size. If they get clogged with old oil deposits or air bubbles they will tap on the cam shaft and it sounds like out of adjustment lifters.

If your just getting a new engine, then dont worry. But if you want to stretch the old one out, id get new lifters for it and see how long you can run it. Heck, if ya wanna get rid of your old one ill take it, rebuild it, and put it in my car! lol

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually looked into lifters for my car and the cheapest I found total it was bout $800 thats why Im goin the route of the engine! Cuz thats only $300 than to install it!

Wilbur you want my old engine? If so I dont see a problem with that, I was actually not sure what to do with it after I replaced it!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
ericy321 said:
get the beta2 head. it has more agressive cams and solid lifters
No, soild yes, but the big cams are in the 1.8, well, the intake cam in the 1.8 is larger. Soild lifters induce ticking and tapping as ours are nonadjustable. The HL engines are very quiet, the only noise being the injectors pulsing. Why would i switch to smaller cams and more noise?

97redtib said:
Wilbur you want my old engine? If so I dont see a problem with that, I was actually not sure what to do with it after I replaced it!
Yeah, id love to have it. Ill rebuild it myself and toss it in my car when i get the chance. Its a 2.0 right? Sweet.. yeah, i can get the bearings and everything i need i guess from school for cheap cheap and ill rebuild it myself. I've never rebuilt anything that small before, im used to 17 liter (1000+ CI) diesel straight 6's. lol. Slight size difference....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts