Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light on my LC came on today. My car has been acting funny ever since the beginning of this week. The car started having trouble accelerating, as if you shifted from a lower to a higher gear without having enough revs or speed. It was hesitant at accelerating and I have to press the clutch more just to put it into 1st gear.
I was shocked and mad when I got a check engine light. When I first started noticing this I thought my clutch is going bad(it has 101k odometer) I need to change it so I was just waiting for this Fri for payday. Now I got this check engine light and I got my obdII code reader it said that Cylinder 3 misfire detected. So what could be causing this? Im going to check the spark plugs(was changed 2months ago), the sparkplug wires and what else should I check. Or could it just be just the clutch? Any help is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
737 Posts
something is wrong with cylinder 3
whether it be spark(plug, wire or coil)
or fuel(injector)
or something mechanical(lack of compression due to piston or valve)

check the easy stuff first if that doesn't fix it do a dry compression test and if cylinder 3 is low then you know you have bigger problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I changed the spark plugs and wires and it got better a little, but it was not running like before. Then a few days later it is not running what happened to my accent? What is a dry compression test? I will check howstuffworks then. If I saw what you posted earlier I would have never drove it around as much. I should have checked the forums been busy with work and summer semester already started. Now I have no ride:(
Anyone here ever experience the same thing with there accent around the same mileage? Ok thanks for the help.

·
Registered
737 Posts
when you replaced the spark plugs and wires you said it got better for awhile then eventually stopped running altogether?

Was your check engine light cleared after you changed the plugs and wires?

If not then you don't know if your misfire is still occuring on cylinder number 3. If it is, then the easiest thing to do is to check to see if your getting any spark from that coil. Use a spark tester(screwdriver works or an old spark plug) and disconnect your plug wire from your spark plug. Insert your screwdriver into the end of the plug wire and have someone try to start the car. Don't hold onto the screwdriver unless you want a nice shock. If it is getting spark you will see and hear it sparking across the screwdriver.

A dry compression check is when you remove all of your spark plugs and intake tube. Hook up a compression gauge in a cylinder and crank while your throttle is wide open. You will get a reading on your gauge. Do this to all cylinders and if you have one significantly lower then the others you have a mechanical problem whether it be a leaking valve or a bad compression ring on your piston. Something is amiss.

I'm just shooting in the dark here, so if you want more info from me your going to have to give me more info.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh thank you so much bro. I will try the spark test tomorrow morning. I have an old spark plug I can use. So if there is no spark what could be wrong? Do I have to replace what is it called?!? Ignition coil? Ok thanks again hopefully my car can be back and running again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts