Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my accent I Put performance plugs, wires, intake, underdrive pulley, and voltage stabilizer.
my car accelerates great and I boosted my MPG from 35 to 42, which is really nice, BUT my car is now maxing out at lower speeds then when it was stock.
I don't know why?
stock : 105mph
now : 100mph

What is my cars problem???
:confused:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm not sure what pulley is replaced with the "underdrive" pulley but that would be my guess.
Besides 5 mph slower isn't a bad trade for the extra 7 mpg:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
don't get me wrong my acceleration is a lot better then when it was stock, but its just I don't know whats the problem with the top speed. I thought because the underdrive pulley puts out the same power but slower rotation it might add me some more RPM to get me a higher top speed.

I know for sure My ECU needs to be tuned, but I don't think it will be that much of a problem.

I'm wondering if a SAFC would be able to help so I wouldn't need to reflash my ECU.

even tho I love the MPG I'm getting, maxing out at 100mph sounds like a wimpy car.

Ohh and to your question by wiki "An Underdrive pulley refers to an aftermarket crankshaft or accessory pulley (such as an alternator pulley) that is designed to drive a vehicle's accessories at a slower rate than stock. Underdrive from the crankshaft pulley means the pulley is smaller that the original pulley it replaces. Underdrive from the accessory pulley means the pulley is larger than the original pulley it replaces. Originally they were invented for race cars in the 1950s and 60s, whose engines had been modified and ran at higher RPMs for longer periods of time than the manufacturers had intended. It was therefore necessary to underdrive the belt-driven accessories (among other things like the water pump) to keep the accessories from burning out and the engines running reliably."

due to the decline in belt speed RPM will average at lower rates for the same power, but in idle RPM speeds people are known to have problems with power.
"because of too much underdrive of the alternator, power steering, and/or air conditioning units are not spinning as fast. These lead to dips in alternator voltage, power assist, and air conditioning effectiveness may be noticeable, especially at idle. The headlights may dim when coming to a stop, or the stereo may lower in volume, for instance."

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't drive that fast very often because I don't want to get arrested, but I would when everything is clear. and I know I have stopping room.
don't worry its not like I'm that one ass on the highway cutting everybody off at 100mph.

and the streets have too many lights to do that. (way too dangerous)

mabe I will clean out the injection

·
Registered
183 Posts
Umm i don't know how to word this politely but...you're an idiot!!! I hope this post dosen't get blocked for saying that. You should NEVER drive that fast on the streets i don't care if there is no one around or not.

I especially love the part where you said "even tho I love the MPG I'm getting, maxing out at 100mph sounds like a wimpy car." it's an accent a commuter car. It's a 1.5L thats why it sounds wimpy.

Where i live if you get caught going 50km/h or 30/mp/h over the speed limit anywhere on any road you get a 10 000$ fine and your car impounded permanently plus your license taken away.

There are so many race tracks that have open days where you pay 20$ and go for the whole day get your speed craving down there and dont' be an idiot!!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
liveD said:
Umm i don't know how to word this politely but...you're an idiot!!! I hope this post dosen't get blocked for saying that. You should NEVER drive that fast on the streets i don't care if there is no one around or not.

I especially love the part where you said "even tho I love the MPG I'm getting, maxing out at 100mph sounds like a wimpy car." it's an accent a commuter car. It's a 1.5L thats why it sounds wimpy.

Where i live if you get caught going 50km/h or 30/mp/h over the speed limit anywhere on any road you get a 10 000$ fine and your car impounded permanently plus your license taken away.

There are so many race tracks that have open days where you pay 20$ and go for the whole day get your speed craving down there and dont' be an idiot!!!
Thats because you live in Ontario where most people can't drive for ****. I lived in Ottawa for 9 months and going to work was a nightmare. 100mph is Nothing so stop freaking out

BTW its a 2000$ fine, 7 day license suspension and 7 day impound.

·
Registered
706 Posts
liveD said:
OPP seize dozens of vehicles under new speeding law

Before you open your mouth gregstergsi do your research!! have a nice day.

It's not about how well you drive or not. It's about common sence. But most people from quebec lack that i suppose.
I have the entire law on my desktop.. Maximum 10k fine but no such fine has been handed out yet. The only reason this law was passed is because it was done to combat street racing in Toronto, an area which has NO race tracks. Thats right there is not ONE race track that is close to the city.

As for people from Quebec.. well at least we don't drive in the left lane going 100km/h :p

here is the law
(1) A police officer who requests, under clause 172 (5) (a) of the Act, that a person surrender his or her driver’s licence shall, before providing the person with the notice of suspension required by subsection 172 (10) of the Act, report the request and the following information to the Registrar:
1. The driver’s name.
2. If known, the driver’s address, date of birth and driver’s licence number.
3. The date and time of the request.
4. The location at which the alleged offence under subsection 172 (1) of the Act took place. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 1 (1).
(2) The report under subsection (1) shall be made by any form of telecommunication. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 1 (2).
(3) A police officer who has made a report under subsection (1) shall, as soon as practical after making the report, complete a form provided by the Registrar for that purpose and forward the completed form to the Registrar. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 1 (3).
Definition, “race” and “contest”
2. (1) For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “race” and “contest” include any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:
1. Driving two or more motor vehicles at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed and in a manner that indicates the drivers of the motor vehicles are engaged in a competition.
2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to chase another motor vehicle.
3. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,
i. driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed,
ii. outdistancing or attempting to outdistance one or more other motor vehicles while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed, or
iii. repeatedly changing lanes in close proximity to other vehicles so as to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (1).
(2) In this section,
“marked departure from the lawful rate of speed” means a rate of speed that may limit the ability of a driver of a motor vehicle to prudently adjust to changing circumstances on the highway. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (2).
Definition, “stunt”
3. For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “stunt” includes any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:
1. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to lift some or all of its tires from the surface of the highway, including driving a motorcycle with only one wheel in contact with the ground, but not including the use of lift axles on commercial motor vehicles.
2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning.
3. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to spin it or cause it to circle, without maintaining control over it.
4. Driving two or more motor vehicles side by side or in proximity to each other, where one of the motor vehicles occupies a lane of traffic or other portion of the highway intended for use by oncoming traffic for a period of time that is longer than is reasonably required to pass another motor vehicle.
5. Driving a motor vehicle with a person in the trunk of the motor vehicle.
6. Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver’s seat.
7. Driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is 50 kilometres per hour or more over the speed limit.
8. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,
i. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing,
ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the driver’s sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,
iii. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to drive, without justification, as close as possible to another vehicle, pedestrian or fixed object on or near the highway, or
iv. making a left turn where,
(A) the driver is stopped at an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal system in response to a circular red indication;
(B) at least one vehicle facing the opposite direction is similarly stopped in response to a circular red indication; and
(C) the driver executes the left turn immediately before or after the system shows only a circular green indication in both directions and in a manner that indicates an intention to complete or attempt to complete the left turn before the vehicle facing the opposite direction is able to proceed straight through the intersection in response to the circular green indication facing that vehicle. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 3.
Exceptions
4. (1) Despite section 2, “race” and “contest” do not include,
(a) a rally, navigational rally or similar event that is conducted,
(i) under the supervision of the Canadian Association of Rally Sport,
(ii) under the supervision of a club or association approved in writing by the Ministry, or
(iii) with the written approval of the road authority or road authorities having jurisdiction over the highway or highways used;
(b) motor vehicle owners engaged in a tour, scenic drive, treasure hunt or other similar motoring event in which the participants drive responsibly and in a manner that indicates an overall intention to comply with the provisions of the Act; or
(c) an event held on a closed course with the written approval of the road authority having jurisdiction over the highway, including any event lawfully using any of the trademarks “CART”, “Formula One”, “Indy”, “IndyCar”, “IRL” or “NASCAR”. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 4 (1).
(2) Despite sections 2 and 3, “race”, “contest” and “stunt” do not include any activity required for the lawful operation of motor vehicles described in subsections 62 (15.1) or 128 (13) of the Act, or the lawful operation of an emergency vehicle as defined in subsection 144 (1) of the Act. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 4 (2).
5. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 455/07, s. 5.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You win i'm not trying to argue thats not what i'm about so you win you're the bigger man.

This is not what I was trying to say or the point i'm trying to get accross. All i'm saying is that you should never be driving that fast on the public roads thats my opinion take it or leave it. I meant there are probrably lots of tracks where he lives. There are tracks all over the place. barrie, brockville, calabogie, cornwall, navan, luskville.

·
Registered
706 Posts
liveD said:
You win i'm not trying to argue thats not what i'm about so you win you're the bigger man.

This is not what I was trying to say or the point i'm trying to get accross. All i'm saying is that you should never be driving that fast on the public roads thats my opinion take it or leave it. I meant there are probrably lots of tracks where he lives. There are tracks all over the place. barrie, brockville, calabogie, cornwall, navan, luskville.
I wasnt trying to cause trouble either.

As for Calabogie that's an awesome track. Perhaps one of the best i've driven

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
liveD said:

Unfortunately there is only one reason to call somebody an idiot, to start ****.
I don't care that you don't drive fast if I want to get a speeding ticket its up to me at least I'm not endangering anybody except for me in the process. As for your laws, good for you I kinda don't care.
and yeah My car isn't meant for racing, I know! My intentions for modification arnt exactly to be gramma on the road tho.
And I have In my signature that I'm running a 1.6 DOHC (not to be confused with a 1.5 SOHC)
And no there are No tracks close to where I live, its a 2 hour drive to the closest one.

Now that I am done with your **** talk the original question was why is my accent top speed slower after the mods.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There is no need for that language kid. But you are endangering people if you're driving that fast. These forums don't support street racing. Please be professional on these forums there is no need for that kinda talk thank you.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
liveD said:
There is no need for that language kid. But you are endangering people if you're driving that fast. These forums don't support street racing. Please be professional on these forums there is no need for that kinda talk thank you.
ok you directly insulting me in a comment is professional but me saying **** twice to describe something in a comment is not being professional to you.

And as stated there is nobody around meaning nobody to endanger. And if I'm not racing anybody because there is nobody around how am I street racing?
thus its reckless endangerment, or can mabe even be call a subside attempt, but it will only add up to a misdemeanor by a cop

·
Registered
65 Posts
GregsterGSi said:
Thats because you live in Ontario where most people can't drive for ****. I lived in Ottawa for 9 months and going to work was a nightmare. 100mph is Nothing so stop freaking out

BTW its a 2000$ fine, 7 day license suspension and 7 day impound.

before you bash him read what you said. $2000 fine [gov't] 7 day liscence suspension, 7 day impound with all impound charges going to the the vehicle owner.. which could equal $10 000.

he wasn't wrong.
160kmh is still kinda fast.. even though i've been there.
dont torch the guy.
do you like people bobbing and weaving on the hwy at 160kmh?

·
Registered
67 Posts
liveD said:

:mad: Normally I'd keep my 2 cents to myself, but this one I gotta chime in on.

In case you didn't see it, there's this big word in the upper left corner of this page, PERFORMANCE. Part of building a performance car is going fast, not just quick, but fast too. I think the op has a legitimate question, and I'm still waiting to see an answer.

As for who the idiot is ...........

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree that this thread went into the ditch at one point... that's unfortunate...

Never drove that fast with the Accent but is 100mph limited by the rev limiter or by car's power ? Wouldn't it be tires rolling resistance or anything similar ?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
da_blue said:
I agree that this thread went into the ditch at one point... that's unfortunate...

Never drove that fast with the Accent but is 100mph limited by the rev limiter or by car's power ? Wouldn't it be tires rolling resistance or anything similar ?
finally somebody that wants to answer the question rather then judge me on the speed. even tho every single person on the highway here goes 140kmh
thank you

I'm guessing its all an ECU problem.
As for rolling resistance I have stock wheels everything is super thin so I don't think its that.
thats ok tho I think I'm just gonna turbo it then tune it.:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
You may have tried this already, but maybe you could reset the ECU and immediately take it for a ...... uh..... you know, spin. Then compare it to another "spin" later on to see just how much the ECU is or isn't holding you back. My assumption (which may be waaaaaay off base is that the first spin will be with the ECU running it's default setup as opposed to the second run which will have the sensors more in control). It's just a guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts