Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 08Elantra and am looking for mods that increase gas milage and performance. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can start by adding a Cold Air intake. That helps. Switch oil to synthetic ( Help maintain engines life as well performance) It all depends on what you want and how much you are willing to spend. Now dont hold me accountable for this statement, ( because I never tried it yet) I heard the right ratio of Pure Acetone in your gas tank increases your mpg. Do research and find out the right ratio. I believe it is 1 ounce of pure acetone to 10 gallons of gas. If you do try this make sure you use a *funnel* to prevent the acetone from getting on your paint. I hate to hear a new car already loose its paint. Reply back with a budget you are willing to spend.

Some other basic ways for saving on gas is taking out excess luggage you dont need. Any extra weight that might weigh down the car. Oh and one that I never really follow, staying at speeds of 65 ( really 55) and below. That helps increase mpg as well. Seeing how your car is new, new oxygen sensors wouldnt be neccessary. Just keep up the maintence.

Hope any of that helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Really>? I heard good reviews that acetone really works. Well whatever you do I suggest that you run your trips mileage. I do this every time I fill up my vehicle. That way I know how much my car is getting and if there is a problem. When you do this and change something i.e. tire pressure you see your gas mileage increase. I have the tire pressure caps that let me know if its low or not. A good investment for me, however the 2008 ? might have electronic tire pressure gauge. I use Lucas Fuel Stablizer in my gas tank. I hear mix reviews about some of these gas treatments not working. However I used Lucas before and I seen results when I bought oil stablizer.

Another good tip is keep gas in your car dont let get down near empty. As a result doing so continusouly the deposits from bottom of tank can ruin injectors and affect your mpg. They say your car gets the optium mpg when the gas tank is half full. Something to do with the right amount of air pressure or something. When it comes to fuel saving I tried as much stuff as possible. The trip mileage has worked well for me, telling me if there is something wrong with my car. Does anyone know for a Elantra 4 door base model 1997 312 miles on one tank good or not? I am curious if maybe I should change my oxygen sensors with new ones ( already replaced once)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an '07 Elantra GLS and during the "warm" months here in Oregon, I installed a CAI and gained a little MPG and Maybe 1 or 2 HP but most importantly I gained the sound of a riced out Civic.:D

Others have installed CAI and Exhaust and and had problems with running rich and CEL's coming on.

However you decide to play with your new toy.....Good Luck!!!

^^^ Not sarcasm.^^^

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
You need at least 4-5 inches of tubing between the filter and MAF and 6 inches of tubing between the TB and MAF so the sensor can read the incoming air correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Installed the Apollo CAI

Added a 2 3/4" ID silicon elbow, cut off one leg at the elbow, added the MAF, then the cut off leg between the MAF and the Apollo and then ran the snorkle below the battery to the driver side fender.

It has increased gas mailage by about 4% @ 100km/hr. No engine chk lites. However the temp reading for the HVAC changed to F from C. I pressed the HVAC AUTO and OFF buttons at the same tiime for about 4sec and it changed back to C. Also, the motor sounds great!:)

I will need to add the PCV filter. The Apollo had a place to add the PVC hose but this would be in front of the MAF and I did not want to get that oil all over the sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
If it's a brand new car...

DON'T RUN SYNTHETIC! You'll need to break in your engine using regular SAE oil until aruond 5,000 miles. You won't have peak efficiency until then either. Since it's a new car, I honestly wouldn't touch it at all with anything mainly for warranty purposes. You can always talk to the dealer and see if they haev any OEM performance parts that they are willing to install for you such as intakes, headers or an exhaust.

Howie~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand that synthetic oil is not good for "break-in". I had planned to move to synthetic oil after about 12,000km. Its better for the motor, the milage and makes for easier winter starting. Being that I am up here in the Great White North, I have also added another set of winter tires ... 15" rims and Micheline X-Ice tires.

WRT dealer performance items ... frankly, I think that this forum has way more info around whats been tried, what works and what works great. The info from this forum helped me decide on ths particular CAI and its everything that I expected.:)

I plan to replace the CAI with stock parts before I take it in for service ... this only takes about 45min. Meanwhile, I get to enjoy the better milage, perf and sound. ;)

I feel comfortable with working on this car during the warranty period. I have worked on a number of cars with a greater focus on performance. My 03 Maxima SE is the latest. I've done a number of things to it including Jim Wolf tech nitrous/intake/stage3 ECU, cams, bored TB, intake, headers, 2.5" pipe to resonator and magnaflow exhaust, dual friction clutch, lowered 1", heavy duty sway bars, 17" wheels/tires, rotor/calipar upgd ,,, etc. Its a sleeper that consistantly shuts down other high perf cars while out handling most great handling cars.

After moving to an acerage last year and travelling a minimum of 120km/day, I needed a car with better gas milage ... the Elantra. I just desire to increase the milage even more and get better perf/handling/sound.

So, today I will work on fabricating the CAI/electronic box mounts, PCV filter and heat shield.

Any additional info on mods to increase milage and/or provide better perf/handling would be appreciated. I plan to change the sway bar out, add strut braces and install the TB heater bypass with valves to allow TB heating in winter and not in summer. I would like to change the ECU but I cannot find a company that makes an aftermarket ECU for this car. I do not plan to change exhaust/headers for 3yrs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I added a small K&N filter to the return hose that went from the stock acordian intake (the acordian was replaced by the silicon elbow) to the valve cover.

Milage is now 6.4L/100km or 44M/IMP Gal @100km/h
and 7.2L/100km or 40.4M/IMP Gal @ 120km/h

I now have 3,000km on the car and expect to gradualy get a little better gas milage. Pretty pleased so far.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts