Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my motor blew last night, well this morning. the whole bottom end is done. so im on a quest to buy a new motor. it looks like its going to cost about 400. so i have a few questions...

does it matter if it is at, or mt? i currently have a mt

im guessing it can be from 2001 and after as long as its a 1.6

does the vin, or any of the numbers have to match?

and anything you can think of i should look for?

also, i wont be on here much, so an email would be great. my email is m i k e h 3 2 a t y a h o o d o t c o m

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
2000+ 1.6l

It'll be easier if it's a MT, but you'll be able to use your flywheel on the new motor if required.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and it seems all the adds have one of the digits to the vin?

im guessing its easier to use a mt motor? i have never swapped an at motor into a mt.

only mt to mt, or at to at.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thought about it. but i dont have the time to do it. and im going to build up a beta this winter for that

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
threw a rod through the oil pan...

either insurance, warranty, or im buying a motor

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
like i said, i want to do the beta. but my plans are to build a beta block better then anything anyone has seen. im looking at some 7.1:1 pistons, and all forged internals. with a **** load of boost. so next spring is the date for the beta.

also, i just found out that when who ever tried to steal my stereo, and gauges. i have an oil pressure gauge, and they ripped the oil line out when they tore the dash. theres about a quart and a half oil on the floor....

·
Registered
737 Posts
2000 lcs all had 1.5s
2001-2002s only the gl and gs had a 1.6
all L models came with 1.5s

My 2000's engine vin is a G (1.5sohc) a 1.6 should be a C if i'm reading the hyundai tsb right.

an automatic will have a flex plate and a different starter
a manual will be a direct swap

I haven't heard of many alphas blowing up, i've beat the hell out of mine and all I have is a little oil consumption. What did you do to throw a rod through the pan?

depending on the age/mileage of the car the insurance might total it. Both my accents might be worth 2gs each which wouldn't even cover a motor swap at a shop.

If you are the first owner and still have a warranty i'd say test the waters there. A grenaded motor might raise some eyebrows though.

If you have access to the right tools and equipment a stock-stock motor swap isn't all that hard, just time consuming. Like everyone else said though, if you were considering a beta swap this would be the time to do it.

good luck

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, i know. i can easily swap the motor in my driveway. wouldnt be the first time either.
as far as toltalling it, i dont think that will happen. its an 05.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Hmm...what insurance companies totalled a car for a mechanical failure not related to a collision? I've had major mechanical failures (engine and tranny failures) and the insurance companies just looked at me funny and said they didn't cover mechanical failures, that's what warranties were for. I would be interested in changing insurance companies to one which would pay out if the motor blows. Any details on what companies and what mechanical failures were covered?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Hmm...what insurance companies totalled a car for a mechanical failure not related to a collision? I've had major mechanical failures (engine and tranny failures) and the insurance companies just looked at me funny and said they didn't cover mechanical failures, that's what warranties were for. I would be interested in changing insurance companies to one which would pay out if the motor blows. Any details on what companies and what mechanical failures were covered?
I know of none.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the car was also broken into, which destroyed the in car oil gauge line, and many of the electronics.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
the car was also broken into, which destroyed the in car oil gauge line, and many of the electronics.
That's going to be hard to prove. Insurance companies will not like altered components unless the policy has the alterations included. Having an oil line going into the vehicle typically is not suggested, although accurate, but the recommended oil gauges are electrical.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
luckly hyundai was nice enough to install it. worse comes to worse i spend 400 and do it my self. i have the rental for 28 days.

·
Registered
737 Posts
i've had customer's cars come in for electrical problems that were caused by animals chewing up wiring. Those customer's insurance covered the bill each time. That is just one example though.

If you blow your motor I don't think any insurace is going to cover that unless it was damaged previously in an accident. For example:

A friends engine was replaced after overheating it because a damaged radiator was never swapped out when he hit a stop sign a few months before. Again just one case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts