Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like she's getting ready to blow again.
It's truly an awesome thing to watch, but the volcanic ash everywhere sucks. Turn your wipers on to clear your windshield and you've just ruined your galss.

I was here when she erupted in 1980, it was pretty scary. Day turned to night, it rained about 2 inches of volcanic ash all over everything........then it rained and turned it to mud.

Here's a link to a local news station story about it.

http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=71467

Edit: Forgot the webcam.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

[Edited by BlackTibby on Sep 29, 2004 12:59 PM]

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I also remember the 1980 eruption (I also live nearby). Although things are rumbling a bit, I only think it is going to fart a bit of gas once the lava dome cracks.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it farted a little bit......threw a little steam and ash in the air. Nothing major yet........but I have faith we'll get something a little more spectacular than this.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eh, I don't know. It's done this a couple of times in the past since the 1980 eruption that leveled everything for 250 sq miles. The thing that convinces me that there MAY be a slightly larger eruption is the fact that the lava dome (the cap of solid lava that plugs the hole) has moved 3 inches to the north. It's almost 1000 feet tall.....it takes some force to do that.

In the May 1980 eruption almost the upper 2000 ft of the entire north face SWELLED, and eventually blew off, thus cropping some 1000 + feet off the top. The devastation is still visible today. I have pics of recent trips there I have taken........it kinda gives you chills. Prolly one of the most awesome sights I have seen to date.......short of watching my ex-girlfriend make out with her best (girl) friend.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I have some aerial shots somewhere here of the before/after of the 1980 eruption. In some of the photos, you can see the glow of the lava (night shots).

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Originally posted by peters73
[body]
It's the chain of the NW Mountains. I hope that it doesn't set off Mt. Rainer. Colin, get out of there! :)
[/body]
I don't think Mt. Rainier will blow. However today geologists put St. Helens under stage 3, which they are evacuating everybody near the mountain within a 5-10 mile radius.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts