Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was out at the meet tonite. i only raced once. it was against a corolla type s automatic. i wasnt running nitrous tonite because that was the agreement of the race. i was beating him until we got to 100mph (started at a 30mph roll), then i just hit a wall of air or something and couldnt go past like 105. whats wrong with my car? i wasnt going uphill or downhill, we were on a straight two lane bridge (gandy). anyone have any ideas what happened? maybe my clutch is finally giving out from the abuse i've givin it since day one with 4 miles on it.

http://www.mikekemper.com/ul/files/thegrim/442474492_ORIG.mov

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
How the hell are you recording goin that fast.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
since i was in 5th gear, i had no need to shift anymore. therefore leavin me one hand on the wheel and the other to operate the camera. i'm still an amateur at the whole camera thing as this is my first time taking a vid.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Have you heard of the "HELMET CAM".

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Your ECU? Have you ever had your ECU flashed or anything? When i had my ECU flashed, it was quick but I couldnt go over 85 sometimes because i guess it takes off a gear, but thats cause i have an auto.

·
Registered
278 Posts
HMMMM That's kinda odd cause I can do 110-115 no problem. Of course it takes long time and I even did 120 couple of times. Onlything I got is intake and I made it. It's like chamber intake but I hit 110 no problem with stock intake either.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
was your car struggling at all? like did everything sound right? cuz according to Car & Driver, the top speed of the '05 Accent is 130mph, drag limited, and that's in absolutely ideal conditions. i'm thinkin' bein on a bridge, theres no buildings or natural terrain to interrupt wind currents, so your car is especially susceptible to drag. Mind you, i'm thinking of all this using alot of my own experiences, and they don't call Chicago 'the Windy City' for nothing...haha.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^ so are you saying that because i'm on the bridge, that i hit my drag barrier sooner? i know when i do spray on the bridge, i see every bit of 130. so i guess its possible that w/out extra horses, i got stuck in a rut of some kind...

·
Registered
978 Posts
to me it looks like you never even touched 105.

who knows, maybe there was a headwind?? My car has no problems getting to 110-115, (1.5L). But there have been a few people on here complaining about low top ends lately. all with the 1.6

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'll get another vid today or tonite on the highway and i'll compare it to the vid on the bridge..

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I would say something's wrong unless there was a huge headwind. Should be faster than that. I've never hit 130 but I hit 126 stock going slightly uphill.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i'm headin out now, 10pm eastern time on a monday night, not too many people should be out.... hopefully no cops around

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have the lc2 1.6l auto and my cars speed limiter kicks in at 105 so i know thats my problem but i believe you said you have gone faster before so i dont know what the problem is.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
If it was your clutch your rpms would still continue to rise without gaining any speed. So I doubt its that. Could be a mix of a bad tank of gas and a head wind. Remember that drag limiting would be relative in an open environment like... a bridge. With a 15mph headwind it would create the same amount of drag as going 120mph..... :ermm: With a 5mph tail you would have "100mph" drag during that time.
Have you checked your ignition coils? I had a 1.6 accent and had 3 friends with them (only one of them still has it). They all had bad coils wayyy before it was time for them to go. I saw a nice increase in track times after they where replaced so I know with them being fouled it hurts hp. Just an off the wall guess at what else could be wrong.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I call dibs on the video of you wrecking while trying to drive at 100mph, one handed, holding a camera.

I can show you how to make a camera mount for under 10 bucks, and then show you were to find local track information.

Stay off the street - statistics say that unfortunately, you won't be the one who dies, it will be the innocent people on their way home.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'll change the coils under warranty at my dealer and then see what happens. but on my way to work this morning, i got to 110 easily but then ran into some heavy traffic and backed off. i'll post a vid soon

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
new, vid, came up on heavy traffic so i let off.

http://www.mikekemper.com/ul/files/thegrim/445825144_ORIG.mov

1 - 20 of 20 Posts