Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my problem is that when I am sitting at an idle like at a light or stop my idle kinda jumps around a bit! it normally idles at about 900 but lately when I am at a rest it goes between 900 and 700 and 850! I know there is tons of threads on here bout this but I cant really find any specific to my car! I know that it could possibly be the throttle cable (not sure if that is rite?) or just cuz of the high mileage! My bf was gonna tighten the throttle cable cuz it mite just be loose but we cant seem to find it in the engine bay! Does anyone know where it is located??

Thanx for the help and I know there is quite a few threads on this so I apologize but I have already searched for it! It kinda freaks me out though and I do wanna get this fixed cuz it does feel like one of these days it will get to the point where it will stall at a stop sign or light!?!?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
737 Posts
the tps sensors go bad in the betas quite a bit

I had to replace mine on my turbo accent(beta tb) because of an erratic idle

I found a newer elantra tb with the newer style tps and everything has been great since with the idle.

if you can rule out the throttle position sensor and still have problems then take a look for vaccum leaks first around the intake tubing, and vacuum lines off the intake manifold. Grab yourself some kerosene based carb spray and spray around potential trouble spots while the car is running. If you idle jumps then you have found your leak.

if I can think of anything else obvious i'll let you know, but check out these things first because they are pretty cheap and easy to change or find.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanx that helps alot, Im gonna try and tighten it down but Im also concerned that it mite be from the high mileage, if thats the case Im not too worried bout it cuz Im gonna be gettin a 2.0L elantra engine with 70K miles on it put in soon!

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
It won't have to do with the mileage of your engine so replacing the engine won't help. This problem needs solving seperately.

Andy pretty much covered everything else though.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Throttle cable runs around to the back side of the intake. Weird..

Unplugg your TPS sensor and see if it changes, new plugs and wires will help the bad idle. Also, a bad MAF sensor will cause this, as well as a bad Idle air control value. I know that when you unplug the MAF in my car the idle will bounce, and it becomes harder to start. If your car is hard to start, and has a rough idle, and maybe a wierd accleration pattern, like it will surge ahead faster without you moving the pedal when acclerating? The i would say maf. You can always unplug it to see, and if nothing changes, thats your problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts