Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna plan a non-intercooled turbo kit..something mild..

I've been giving it some thought and configured some ideas in my head,
Judging from Blankpage's tiburon which seem's to have the 1.6L alpha II and what i think is a scoupe turbo manifold fitted into it.."who said it doens't fit the G4ED??""

here's my idea but opinions are welcome strongly.

choice of T-15 or T-25 turbo..is the 25 bigger than the 15?

thicker headgasket
Exhaust turbine
Scoupe Turbo manifold
pipes and clamps and hoses
blow-off valve
larger injectors..Beta??
adjustable fuel pressure regulator...do i need it or doe's the ecu adjust it with the beta injectors?
wastegate..opinions needed on which is affordable and good
charge pipe
rubber hose going from oil pan to turbo
boost gauge
oil temp gauge

i was hoping blankpage could share what spec's he has on his turbo alpha 2 GK setup

i'm sticking to a budget of $2600

how's my idea?

[Edited by TAK82 on Jan 26, 2006 6:57 PM]

·
Registered
53 Posts
just remember that if u want a non-intercooled setup, u have a high risk of detnation. It's worth the extra $200 (give or take) to throw an FMIC in it.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know..i'm probaby gonna be running very mild boost..probably 5psi..

just want a mild setting before i work and get more money for a FMIC

but about my idea..what am i missing??
is it acceptable?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
you have the 1.6 motor? you could make a kit under $2600 if just ran to the junkyard, you should really have it innercooled you can find innercoolers cheap or get one from the junkyard

read up at www.homemadeturbo.com on the forums if u have ne questions just hit me up [email protected]

·
Registered
48 Posts
5 psi is kinda weak do at least eight if you gonna do it make power, definityl intercool it you make power with a FMIC

·
Registered
572 Posts
With $2600 you should be able to intercool it atleast....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dude, u should defiinately be able to intercool if u want to spend 2600. I built my turbo setup for my ZX2 for 600 and that was intercooled. Definately intercool it if u plan on spending that much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dude, u should defiinately be able to intercool if u want to spend 2600. I built my turbo setup for my ZX2 for 600 and that was intercooled. Definately intercool it if u plan on spending that much.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay..intercooler is in the list,
but i'm concerned about reliability..would the lc's stock fuel pump be able to squeeze out more pressure or would i need new high flow fuel pump and pressure regulator??

do i aslo need colder plug's to retard detonation wether i do intercooler or not?

and can a apexi safc change the a/f ratio in my car? rather then just reading it?

·
Registered
572 Posts
If your going to turbo just do it right...or you will pay for it later with another motor....

You will need colder plugs and better wires
You will need a better fuel pump(244 will work great)
You will want a fuel regulater(unless you go piggyback)
IMO the apexi unit is way overrated its a little more expensive but go with either the emanage or smt6/7. With $2600 you should be able to fit that in the mix.

Here is an estimated price list for ya....

Garrett t25 $250-$300 (internally gated)
Scoupe manifold $50-$100 (custom for $250-$300)
Greddy emanage $245-$280
Walbro 255 fuel pump $80-$90
Bigger injectors $100-$200 Ford 30lb or 32lb should work
Blow off valve $150-$200
SS Oil lines $60
All Hoses $30-$50
Boost and oil gauges $200
Intercooler piping+charge pipe $200-$250
Smaller intercooler(srt4 should work) $150-$200
Apexi avc-r $200-$300
Good syntec oil $20
Better plugs and wires $200

This should be most of what you need, and its all still under your budget. Some of this stuff you'll find cheaper than some of these too. Just keep an eye out and get it all before you start putting stuff on. Do alot of research and do everything right the first time....

[Edited by silver01accent on Jan 27, 2006 3:01 PM]

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You wont need a wastegate if your turbo is internally wastgated.

The safc does change the air fuel ratio. It does not read it.

Another thing you will want is a new high flow cat and bigger exhaust if you already don't.

You could probaly get away without using a fpr.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the reply's..i just need to confirm the scoupe turbo manifodl fit's the alpha II 1.6L

BTW:i looked at PLX and some other brands beside's Apexi..what's a preferred one for budget minded consumers?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
The S-Coupe Turbo manifold only fits the 1.5 SOHC Alpha I engine......the exhaust spacing is not the same on the later motor.

The cast manifold in that guy`s pic. does not look like mine at all.......& the oxygen sensor is in a completely different position!.

The T25 is much bigger than the T15, but should fit with some `clocking` to get the oil & coolant lines lined up.

Nick.

[Edited by VALKYRIE YB70 on Jan 29, 2006 8:27 AM]

·
Registered
384 Posts
Nick, are you not feeling well? Where's your token "Beta 2.0 easier" =p

Tak82, I can't figure out if you have the 1.6 or the 1.5. I was going to say if you have the 1.5 you might look for some turbo scoupe pistons. They would help lower compression and help lower the risk of detonation.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
hit me up on aim. if anyone can help build a cheap turbo setup its me. aim: imendlessmike

so far ive had 3 sets of injectors, 2 fuel rails, 5 turbos, 2 sets of intercooler piping, new ecu, gauges, 2 fuel pressure regulators, 1 bov, external wastegate, 2 turbo manifolds, intercooler, boost controller, and bunches of small misc. stuff, and all that ive spent just under 2k dollars. had i not changed my mind so many times i would of saved a ton of money.

but really though, hit me up on aim, think of it as a consultation.;):

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Xeric, I have the 1.6L alpha 2 in my LC..codename "G4ED"

Specs:CC-1595
76.5 mm Bore
87mm stroke
10.1 compression ratio
BHP:104
torque:106

Engine Block material: Cast Iron
4 valves per cylinder
Multiport fuel injection
Forged steel connecting rods

so unfortnately, scoupe piston's and turbo manifold won't fit my engine..Fiddlesticks~!!

all i would need is a turbo manifold with a downpipe and the inlet and outlet turbo, i could take it from there..

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you think you could organize and sell me one with some decent novice sized turbos?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts