Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon 1.8L. 112k on the stock engine. Cold air, OBX header, NGK wires and plugs. Stage 4 clutch, 2.5" exhaust, resonator tip.

Idea: 300-350hp total desired. Precision TE44 turbo for $400 used, found intercooler w/bov kit for $200. Turbo timer for $84, still looking for a turbo manifold.

???'s: 1a. Should i rebuild the engine, as well as change the lower end, or is there a safe boost level i can run with stock parts 1b. what else do i need. 2. Are bigger injectors reqired. 3. How much boost should i run, if im not going to race. 4. Is it possible to do all of this to a 1.8L. 5. Have you ever heard of alcohol/water mixture to cool engine instead of intercool..(or is this guy just smoked out)

Help me please

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Car: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon 1.8L. 112k on the stock engine. Cold air, OBX header, NGK wires and plugs. Stage 4 clutch, 2.5" exhaust, resonator tip.

Idea: 300-350hp total desired. Precision TE44 turbo for $400 used, found intercooler w/bov kit for $200. Turbo timer for $84, still looking for a turbo manifold.

???'s: 1a. Should i rebuild the engine, as well as change the lower end, or is there a safe boost level i can run with stock parts 1b. what else do i need. 2. Are bigger injectors reqired. 3. How much boost should i run, if im not going to race. 4. Is it possible to do all of this to a 1.8L. 5. Have you ever heard of alcohol/water mixture to cool engine instead of intercool..(or is this guy just smoked out)

Help me please
some ideas:

1a. you could...might want to change the belts and warn parts. Clean out what you can and maybe a good engine flush could help.

1b. obviously you have the turbo, the turbo manifold, intercooler and intercooler piping w/ BOV so sound like you got most of the basics. You will also need an engine managment unit...Greddy e-manage, AEM...something along those lines.

2. yes...try 290cc injectors (kdmstuff.com) or go big with some 440cc injectors (stock SRT-4 injectors will do)

3. with the 290cc: prolly get away with a safe 5-7psi no prob. 440cc: 8-12 will work on stock internals. ( you do have an older engine so you might want to get stronger internals.)

4. yes it is

5. yes but thats for heavy duty race cars and race built cars. Its not to cool the engine though its more to cool the air being compressed...turbos build LOTS of heat. The higher the psi your running the hotter it gets...

Hope that helps....I havnt done or seen much work on any of the beta Hyundai motors but they are all pretty much the same thing just different sizes: 1.6, 1.8, 2.0...so the principles will all work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
man all of that sounds great. i have been doing some research and i know one thing for sure. ITS GONNA BE DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. I love my Tib so much that it couldn't be bought from me. So to make it will handle it, i will do what it takes.

I also went and bought that book "Maximum Boost" By Corky Bell, so im sure i will get some more info from that im sure. Thanks Again you have been a big help. All of this should be done by spring next year so i will keep you all posted on the progress.

TigerShark97

·
Registered
23 Posts
man all of that sounds great. i have been doing some research and i know one thing for sure. ITS GONNA BE DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. I love my Tib so much that it couldn't be bought from me. So to make it will handle it, i will do what it takes.

I also went and bought that book "Maximum Boost" By Corky Bell, so im sure i will get some more info from that im sure. Thanks Again you have been a big help. All of this should be done by spring next year so i will keep you all posted on the progress.

TigerShark97
hello man listen to this here in puerto rico we put those engines to run a lot with stock internals as i read your engine is 1.8 if you want to lower the compression you can do this put the 2.0 tiburon pistons and the 1.8 rods why is that because the 2.0 piston is more flat then the 1.8 piston believe me i already opened both engines thats a good choice and you can pull up to 15 psi of boost safely on that engine if you want to know anything else let me know

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with i have to bore the cylinders out at all or will they just swap right in. and what rings would i have to use. also... i need a turbo manifold for a TE44 precision turbo. do you have any ideas on who i might be able to get one from. the main thing is i don't know the bolt pattern for the turbo so i don't know what im looking for.

·
Registered
686 Posts
they are 100% interchangable

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok sounds good. but will the head be able to take the pressure? i know im asking alot but this is my baby, and i don't want to blow anything up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ok sounds good. but will the head be able to take the pressure? i know im asking alot but this is my baby, and i don't want to blow anything up.
its going to be able the piston fit perfectly you are not going to blow nothing if you put good fuel injectors fuel pump and you wont have any problem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool. but now im about to ask a question that may seem stupid. i do have a 1.8 but how do i know if the piston rod is that also. i don't think anything was changed but my mechanic told me i should just check anyway. so i guess the question is....what is the piston rod that comes stock with the 1.8?

·
Registered
23 Posts
cool. but now im about to ask a question that may seem stupid. i do have a 1.8 but how do i know if the piston rod is that also. i don't think anything was changed but my mechanic told me i should just check anyway. so i guess the question is....what is the piston rod that comes stock with the 1.8?
its very easy bro i will help you with this one cause i have pictures of both pistons if you have an 1.8 engine it will come with this pistons
this are the 1.8 pistons you will notice on the small dome on the top and the 2.0 pistons are this
they are flat well almost they have a very small dome but they look flat you will notice fast as you look them i hope this helped you bro if you need anything let me know

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks alvin that did help alot.

now the next question, what is a good price to pay for a turbo manifold. cause im finding them in the $600-$800 range out of korea. and i looking to hard or not hard enough.

·
Registered
23 Posts
well depends on what kind of manifold you want on ebay they are options to or if you know someone that makes them is better but i dont think it will cost a lot keep looking bro here in puerto rico a have a friend that is selleing one if you want i will take a picture in case that you want to buy it will be no problem let me know

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you could that would be nice, so i could atleast see it. im not sure of the bolt pattern on the turbo i think its a 3 bolt pattern. ill have to check.

what part of puerto rico you live, cause my girl is from there.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I got a friend here in Cali. that makes log style turbo manifolds for the 1.6 for $300. He's already made me one and he's making one for another guy. He's been making manifolds for a couple years now, mainly for honda's and such but since he got his Hyundai he's been making tmanis for them as well.I'm positive he can make them for 1.8's and 2.0 as well. If your interested lemme know and I'll give you his number.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
ok let me call him to take some pics of the maniflod and see if you are interested
wait...what? You want to call him to see if I am interested or if Tiggershark is interested?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts