Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just bought an 03 tuscani for 4400, but it has grind going to 2nd gear, my mechanic tells me my synchronizers are going out. I have a 6 month drive train warranty that will cover up to the price of the car. I am wanting to replace not repair the clutch/tranny. I am more of a cruiser, not a racer. I am trying to find the best value/reliability/performance options for a total replacement. Has Hyundai's Tranny's gotten better since 03? If I am getting it from a dealer, do the newer or more updated transmissions on this model swap out ok? Should I get OEM clutch/Flywheel assembly to go with a new Tranny from the dealer? I want to get this as right as I can with the first shot. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Should I get OEM clutch/Flywheel assembly to go with a new Tranny from the dealer? I want to get this as right as I can with the first shot. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
For the clutch system, it's a better idea to go aftermarket. Not only does aftermarket perform better and is more reliable (depends on which brand you choose, of course), but it's also cheaper than OEM.

When it comes time for my clutch to be replaced, I'm planning on going with a lightweight Fidanza flywheel and a stage 2 Southbend clutch.

·
Registered
256 Posts
the only difference in the newer cars is the flywheel they changed them in late 2003 so you will have to tear down your car to find out which flywheel you have.
go to fidanza.com and on their page they talk about the differences between the 2 flywheels

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are Great!

Thanks so very much. I'm a single dad of three, and they are all driving, and the transmission on the old caravan died, and after about 20 years of driving panel wagons I decided on getting a Tiburon. I got a 97 for my son last year and it's been a great car to drive, had to replace its clutch, but it had just turned 100k. I had searched around after I purchased the Tuscani and was impressed by the knowledge and helpful attitudes I found on this site! I very much appreciate the mentoring. Look forward to learning more from the masters.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
For a car that isn't going to see huge increases in horsepower I highly recommend the ACT kit with the "street performance disc". IMO it is smoother than stock, but bites hard when you need it. 60+k miles on mine so far and it is doing great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts