Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a terrible problem here! I disconnected my crankshaft position sensor and after I connected it again, the car won't start! I checked the wires, ok, I even tried different sensors and still nothing! The odd thing is that when I tried the same sensor which the car was working with it, after I removed it , the crankshaft had "chewed" it - hence destroyed it!- Now whatever I do the car won't start! I even changed back to 1.6 ecu and stock 1.6 crank sensor.. same ****. The car won't start! Oh and another thing... The sensor bolts with one bolt so it's impossible to put it another way in the block right? If I don't bolt the sensor and move it clockwise or counterclowise the car started at a position not relevant to the bolt! Wtf is this now?

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you can start the car with the sensor rotated I would suspect a problem with the sensor or the connection the the computer. Try an new sensor. If that does not work I think that you will have to inspect the toothed wheel on the crankshaft that sends the signal to the sensor. Look for broken teeth or pieces of magnet from the broken sensor on the wheel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
if your using a beta2 crank sensor i have an extra one laying in my garage. PM me you can have it just pay for shipping.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car starts with a beta2 crank sensor only if the sensor is slightly rotated clockwise and not on it's bolt! If I try to rotate the sensor to it's home (bolt) position, the car dies. If I try to rotate the sensor more clockwise, the car idles fine... what the **** is this?
Also I have a p0340 mil which is the camshaft position sensor. Hma says that this is due to wrong timing of the engine. I triple checked the engine is fine! The sensor is fine, the wiring is fine! Maybe I'm missing sth here? Maybe the timing is not correct from the crankshaft? Damn...

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
First off let me say that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to this, this is all speculation on my part...

I wonder if the ECU is checking the crank PS vs cam PS signals and since they aren't lining up it won't allow it to run. Have you checked to see if your engine has slipped timing? If you're a tooth off maybe it could cause this. Either that or something could be wrong with the cam PS I suppose.

Wish I could be of more assistance. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
..here is a question..and my car sometimes...never consistently..wen shifting to first or second and pressing the gas pedal has a serious lag...lag as if u'r driving a turbo and u have to wait till it spools...i have check the spark plugs and wires..fuel filter..have gotten the fuel injectors cleaned..and im totally stomped...

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
..here is a question..and my car sometimes...never consistently..wen shifting to first or second and pressing the gas pedal has a serious lag...lag as if u'r driving a turbo and u have to wait till it spools...i have check the spark plugs and wires..fuel filter..have gotten the fuel injectors cleaned..and im totally stomped...
Wrong place man. Make your own thread.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a new one! The car starts and idles when the sensor is anywhere EXCEPT the position where it bolts! Anywhere else works fine, when it comes for the bolt... oh yeah stalls! WTF is this **** now

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
499 Posts
Check to see if the sensor is being pulled away from the toothed wheel on the crank as it is rotated into the proper position. Perhaps something is warped and lifts the sensor out of the hole as it is rotated.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing contacts the sensor while it's bolted to its position. It doesn't start while its there. It idles fine when it's in irrelevant position to the bolt.. help ppl..

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car is ok mechanically. The timing is correct, everything is in place. Still, using the right sensors (crank and cam) from the beta 2, the car won't start when bolting the crank sensor in it's place but only if it's not! When switching back to 1.6 ecu and 1.6 crank sensor the car still won't start... wtf is this? Fried all the sensors? This thing is playing with me... I don't have a clue here!! Maybe is that my beta is beta1 and not 2? Oh and the weird thing: When the car was idling a month ago, the crank sensor I was using was the camshaft sensor of the LC!!! DAMN!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
The odd thing is that when I tried the same sensor which the car was working with it, after I removed it , the crankshaft had "chewed" it - hence destroyed it!- Now whatever I do the car won't start!
Something is wrong here, I bet the pick-up sensor on the crankshaft itself is damaged if it chewed up the crankshaft sensor. I would try and find another way to fasten the sensor to the block (weld) in a position it works in rather than tearing out the crankshaft.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pickup sensor on the crankshaft is fine as the mechanic and I checked everything... The weird thing is that even if I weld the crank sensor to the block , the cam sensor still goes wrong and mil comes on! The second weird whing is that the LC 1.5 camshaft sensor worked out good as a crank sensor with the beta2 ecu!!!!!! I bet sth is wrong with the sensors and the beta1 engine. I think they are not ment to be for this engine anyways. I'm thinking of buying a set of cam-crank for the beta1 engine and work them out with the beta2 ecu.. or even better take an LC cam sensor and use it for crank signal as I used to have before! what do you think?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
this may be a dumb question but are you taking the ecm harness adapter out when you are switching back and forth from 2.0 to 1.6 ecm? the whole reason for the harness is to switch the pinouts so if your using the adapter with the 1.6 ecm its gonna be sending all kinds of crazy signals to the wrong ****.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Of course I do!! Ah... I gave up. I switched back to 1.6 ecu and that's it. I have for sale the adapter, the sensors and the ecu on forsale forum. Maybe it doesn't work withe the beta1 engine. With the 1.6 ecu still goes strong. I'll chiptune the damn thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts