Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i own a turboed 99 hyundai excel twincam and i need to upgrade my brakes. I want to start by doing the rear disk conversion that scrud has performed as my rear disk drums are really worn and disks look way better and they rock.

heres the post for the mod: http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=68398

Theres only one problem that's stopping me from doing this mod and that is there are no wreckers within 500kms of my town that would have any of the parts im after. If anyone is in a larger city and is willing to get the parts from a wrecker i need, i am willing to transfer cash over to cover it as well as like $50 for the troubles, more if the trouble's greater.

I just want to do this mod and i cant without the parts. Please reply on this forum or email me at [email protected] if your interested at doing this.

The REAR DISK parts I'll need will be (off a Proton Satria GTI or Proton Satria XLI):

Backing bracket and bolts holding it on
Disks
Calipers
Fluid lines
Handbrake cables

Hope someone can help...

[Edited by Tweak on Nov 21, 2005 8:21 PM]

·
Registered
279 Posts
bear in mind that is for a accent not an x3, things may be a little dif on our cars. machine got all the parts to do his from psc, not sure if has acctualy done it ofr not yet.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was sure i read that the mod would work on the X3 in the post... Am i wrong?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The protons actually use a 4x100 stud pattern so your going to have to buy new wheels to suit unless your wheels are multistud, which even if they are you will have pockets drilled into them to clear the hub bolts.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The rear discs off a Proton are probably the best basis for an Accent rear disc conversion, but for the X3 Excel the J1 Lantra Levant rear discs are the best fit.

Problem is the J1 Lantra Levant was not sold in great numbers, and finding one at a wreckers to get the bits off isnt too easy.

I have been able to find 4 over the last few years - one set is on my S-Coupe, another set is on my S-Coupe project car, and third set went to Spain for an S-Coupe and the 4th set i with Machine in Canberra.

There's another set I am trying to chase down off a Mitsubisi model that should fit as well, but til I can find them I wont know for sure.

The rear suspension on the Excel has MacPherson struts, whereas the J1 Lantra and S-Coupe have a different set up with trailing arms, so the and brake cable on the Excel would get in the way of the rear struts, and needs the handbrake cable guide needs to be modified.

Apart fromt that, it seems all pretty easy but until we fit a set to an Excel we wont know for sure.

On the S-Coupe i was all very simply, with the same size wheel bearings used for J1 and S-Coupe, and all mounting bolt holes were perfect. The hardest bit was getting the handbrake cable modified for the rear disc calliper and having the new braided brake lines made up.

Cheers

Bretton
PSC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts